turbo comparison

v62go

how does a te 63 stack up against a cpt 66bb s trim i'm running the 63 now and the car has went a 10.62 so far i want to know if the 66bb will a good step in the right direction i have a 9.5 vig conv ported and big valves heads atr roller cam 212-206 with 1.65 roller rockers rjc plate stock tb stock intake...

IMHO....there is some difference .... but not worth the price of admission.... 10.60's out of a 63 is hauling the mail.

The bb technically won't make any more power than a non bb..... but they tend to spoolup quicker... which translates to better 60' times maybe..... or could translate to a bunch of tire smoke.....

First... what are your goals?

Complete list of mods too....both current and planned....

.30 over 231 studed girdle forged pistons ported big valve heads atr roller 212-206 cam 1.65 roller rockers stock tb stock intake stock headers with poston crossover 9.5 vg lu conv 3.42 gear 28 inch slicks 50 pound inj. te63 turbo 6.72 1/8 10.62 1/4,but my 63 has some slop from side to side i figured it would be a good time to step up to a better turbo and injectors i'm thinking of going with eric marshall's 79 high imp inj and chip combo also i just want to go 6.40's or 6.50's in the 1/8...

IMHO... a 66 is only going to go 6.40's or 6.50's on a perfect day. I'd be looking for something bigger. The billet 67 is coming out soon.... might wait around for it.....get it in a bb version.... easy mid 9 capable turbo.... ought to run 6.50's on a bad day.....with complementing parts and decent 60' of course...

IMHO... a 66 is only going to go 6.40's or 6.50's on a perfect day. I'd be looking for something bigger. The billet 67 is coming out soon.... might wait around for it.....get it in a bb version.... easy mid 9 capable turbo.... ought to run 6.50's on a bad day.....with complementing parts and decent 60' of course...

Ya those billet wheel snails are AMAZING... I have a friend with a JB 6262 and its comparable to a 67 DBB non billet...

The 66 s-trim is a 9 sec turbo if pushed hard. With a 3-4psi launch i ran 10.29 on a 150k mile shortblock weighing 3600+. It should be worth at least 80hp over a TE63 if you run it to the limit. It will spool at least as fast as the 63 in BB config and allow you to run a really efficient converter like i have. If you have a single disc vig you would be better off replacing i before you buy a urbo since its going to be a really inefficient converter if you run more wheel and boost.

but they tend to spoolup quicker... which translates to better 60' times maybe..... or could translate to a bunch of tire smoke.....

They allow you to run a much tighter converter and still 60'. You gain everywhere when you can do that. Assuming he's building it to the max he would be running an electronic boost controller to prevent smoking the tires if he was making that much power. You can get a low 10 sec car to leave really hard on the street with M/T Drag Radials.

Sounds Good Now Who Wants To Sale Me One?seems to be alot of options on these things,need help on that f 1 wheel? 3 bolt housing .63 or .82? compressor housing 4/2.5 4/2.5 s or 3/2 i'm def going with the bb.but the rest i dont know about thanks for any help.there's a list of my mods at start of post.thanks....

Sounds Good Now Who Wants To Sale Me One?seems to be alot of options on these things,need help on that f 1 wheel? 3 bolt housing .63 or .82? compressor housing 4/2.5 4/2.5 s or 3/2 i'm def going with the bb.but the rest i dont know about thanks for any help.there's a list of my mods at start of post.thanks....

That's an easy one... I should have them on the shelf, ready to ship... :cool: Thanks Brian for the accurate info you passed along. Blazer must have been thinking about a diffferent turbo, since this one has been close to 140 mph.... with the right combination. Definitely running hard with that 63, you will see a conisderable improvement, especially through the second 1\8 as that S trim wheel pulls haaard on the top end, just keeps pulling.

Happy Holidays,

I guess I am mainly referring to ET potential...... 10.63..... 10.29.... .34 sec different.....

9 sec capable.... yes... I have no doubt the 66 turbo can go 9's on a perfect day...... real world however.... low 10's on a full weight car....... spoolup.... ability to run a tighter converter.... yep.... the bb 66 has that advantage too....... however... at the end of the day....is .34 seconds (of ET improvement) worth the cash out? That is the question I was bringing light to.

Some people there would be no question.

IMHO... you could go 10.50's with the bb66 and not really push it that hard..... where as the 63 would be hard pressed to get there ....... the stars would need to be aligned just right.... boost pushed to the max... and tune on the edge.... and the 60' time would need to be stellar.

Obviously I am only one opinion (no personal experience... I just read an aweful lot)... and there are some great minds here to offer their experience and expertise as well... Bison has run one of those turbos.... so he is an excellent voice to listen to on how they act on the street..... and Jack...can fix you up.... on whatever you decide.

Whatever you decide... don't skimp on the converter.... get a good converter that matches the turbo you have.... you will be much happier in the long run... IMHO.

HTH

I guess I am mainly referring to ET potential...... 10.63..... 10.29.... .34 sec different.....

9 sec capable.... yes... I have no doubt the 66 turbo can go 9's on a perfect day...... real world however.... low 10's on a full weight car....... spoolup.... ability to run a tighter converter.... yep.... the bb 66 has that advantage too....... however... at the end of the day....is .34 seconds (of ET improvement) worth the cash out? That is the question I was bringing
10.29 was only the second pass i made on a tired engine with mystery heads. With better heads, more timing, and a fresh engine i would have gone faster. I drove it 110 miles there and back. Breaking it wasnt my goal. With a t-brake launch and a good 60' it would have went 10.10 with no other changes that night still at 3600. I will make repeated 9 sec passes with it this spring on a better combo. Will only be 233ci too. Its not the ideal turbo to run 9's in most instances but it easily allowed me to run a tight 9.5" converter which kicks ass on the street. 66 BB s-trim, good heads, 212 cam, PTC converter, and a good tune makes for a nasty street combo that will smash almost anything out there if theres traction.

so what options should i get on that turbo...

I have 4"in 2.5" out, s-trim, and .85 exhaust. If you want a bad a$$ converter PM me. Ill give the info to Dusty off my converter so they can make it the same as mine. Is a real nasty combo.

The CPT 66 BB is a very nasty street turbo that will make you smile. Listen to Jack and Bison. I had one on my car for a while with ALKY, awesome combo. You should be very happy with this turbo.
You might want to get the intake ported and if you are running a stock intercooler now would be the time to upgrade that as well, Jacks intercooler woke my car up!
Bryan