Turbo Bearings?

corkyhand

I am looking to upgrade soon to a better turbo. I have been reading up on them alot but have a question on the bearing choice now.

Which is better journal bearings or double ball bearings? Any issues with one and not the other? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Ball bearing turbos spool faster and usually don't need as much stall converter.

Only issue with ball bearing over journal bearing is initial cost, and the fact you need to run water lines if it is a water cooled version. Although, the water lines can come off the two nipples that are normally blocked off going to the throttle body.

Everyone I have talked to about the BB turbos says it is money well spent. I would also ASSume the bb turbos would last longer, but I really don't know for sure, just speculating.

DBB it is

Thanks for the advise. DBB it is going to be. I figured those were the way to go but just wanted reassurance on that.

Thanks for the advise. DBB it is going to be. I figured those were the way to go but just wanted reassurance on that.

Don't take my word for it, as I do not have one (yet), just going by what I read on here and from talking to guys. Give it some time, and I am sure others will post up on here with their personal experience. I have never heard anything negative though. ;)

Just so you know...

All of the ball bearing turbos that we sell today, are Air Cooled Hybrid Ceramic Dual Ball Bearing cartridges that do not need water lines. The water cooled dbb cartridges were discontinued back in "09.

Also, look at the top of this forum for a sticky thread that I started about the ACBB cartridge.

Here's the direct link.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...led-ceramic-dual-ball-bearing-cartridges.html

Let us know if we can help you.

Patrick

Precision Turbo
219-996-7832

All of the ball bearing turbos that we sell today, are Air Cooled Hybrid Ceramic Dual Ball Bearing cartridges that do not need water lines. The water cooled dbb cartridges were discontinued back in "09.

Also, look at the top of this forum for a sticky thread that I started about the ACBB cartridge.

Patrick

Precision Turbo
219-996-7832

Great info, thanks Patrick. Just goes to show I am behind the times with turbos. ;)

Thanks guys for your info. Just read up on that sticky you started Patrick. Im still learning about turbos and reading as much as I can about them. When I go for my new turbo in the near future I'll be giving you guys at Percision a call and will probably have a handful of questions to go along with my order!