Turbo 5.3 build

Stringbean

Well after much debate I decided to go for a 5.3 turbo swap and thought I might as well share everything with you guys on here. This will be a slow process but I hope I have it finished up by early spring. Here's what I have so far.

2003 5.3 with milled 317 heads
Arp rod bolts, main studs, and head studs
Isky 56?/56? 22?/22? 114 lsa can't remember the exact specs
Moroso oil pan
The engine was freshened up before I bought it with new bearings and rings
Magnum t76 turbo
Precision 46mm wastegate
Snow meth injection from the 3.8

For anyone who is wandering I would highly recommend the Moroso oil pan it fit perfectly with no hang down and has a trap door in the front and is pretty cheap I gave $235 for mine.

Thoughts, comments, criticism... Lets hear it.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1378193865.395742.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm making my own mounts, I'm using the original 3.8 bracket on the crossmember and custom mounts bolted to the motor. Hopefully Il have them finished tonight or tomorrow and Il get some pics of the mounts and how it sets in the frame.

Took me way longer than expected but I got the mounts about 1/2 done. Here are some pics sorry for the poor quality all I have is my phone for a camera.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1378883505.622844.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1378883524.707578.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1378883542.447613.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1378883567.746147.jpg

I'm waiting on some manifolds from a friend to start the hot side, hopefully things will start taking off after that.

I heard the 05+ block has the better rods, can you give any detail on this? How much power are you going for?

I do know some of the newer ls motors do have stronger rods than the older ones but I can't remember the exact year, il do some looking when I get a chance to breath and get back with you guys. I'm hoping for north of 700 at the wheels on e56 I've got a good friend that owns a ls performance shop here and he says I should have no problems reaching that mark.

The 05+ rule only applies to the 6.0 lq4 engine from what I've read. Everything else has good rods. If someone know different please correct me.

700Hp...oh yeah, and thats on low boost. Are you using the stock crank because they will hold 900Hp not sure about the rods you might want to replace those.

Leave the rod bolts. Replacing them seems to cause more harm than good. In a new engine build, I'd say go for it. Not stock stuff.

ZNix is right unless you are going to resize the rods but you cant because they are cracked type rods. I would just clean, inspect and GO!! Man i have really been thinking of going down the LS road. Have you givin any thought on how your going to route the hot/cold side piping and if your going single or twin Turbo. If you go single are you going to plum the pipes in a stock configuration, also are you keeping A/C?....Sorry for so many damn questions..lol

I've got arp rod bolts, the rod bolts are the weak link in the 5.3. No ac. The turbo will be mounted crossways the dp will be dumped out the front fender infront of the wheel well down low. Hot side probably be truck manifolds mounted forward and down. The intercooler piping will exit down under the rad to the Ic and back up on the left side.
Sorry for the complicated response.

Leave the rod bolts. Replacing them seems to cause more harm than good. In a new engine build, I'd say go for it. Not stock stuff.

do not listen to this man...rod bolts are a big weak spot in ls motors..

do not listen to this man...rod bolts are a big weak spot in ls motors..

Please look Denmah up on ls1tech.com or go to Sloppy Mechanics on Facebook. I know for a fact these guys have built more turbo LS's than you have. Plenty of guys making big power without them. Slap that 5.3 in there, don't touch it, and beat the piss out of it. If it breaks, replace with another j/y shortblock and go. Want even bigger power? Go forged and never look back. Remember, its all in the tune.

you want to listen to some guys who followed another guy on ls1tech do some crazy shit go ahead..but when rod bolt decides it doesnt want to work anymore and your going 125 at the big end. enjoy

you want to listen to some guys who followed another guy on ls1tech do some crazy shit go ahead..but when rod bolt decides it doesnt want to work anymore and your going 125 at the big end. enjoy

Sure will! Thanks for the heads up! Ill remember that when I finally put together my j/y 5.3 build.. ;)