turbo 350 question

boostified

I have a turbo 350 that is 9 sec. ready in my car now. it has a full manual valve body in it. Is it possible to make it shift "normal" in a car that makes no vacuum when in the throttle? Didn't want to waste my time if it won't work.

Depends on type of valve body. if you bought one ready to go (TCI, Hughes,etc) prob not, but if your original was converted to full manual then yes. Or you can jut swap with another

it was originally an auto, but the guy i got it from converted it to full manual. I just didn't know how it could shift right with no vacuum. The vacuum pot has been removed from the trans., along with the kickdown cable.

are you trying to do away with the full manual and go back to auto ?

I would like to have the option of auto for cruising, and the ability to shift manually at the track

I think you know what I mean. The full manual can just be a pain cruising, not to mention the quarter stick shifter confusing my wife. Having the ability to use a kickdown cable would be nice too.

the quarter stick may not be the worst shifter out there but i absolutely hate it , it is a pain to shift , it catches at times and it requires a long reach to put it to park (and the lever hits the console pod ) you have to butcher the console so bad youll never be able to go back and it need a custom plate to fit a console car , the whole grip -push- release -push- grip is retarded and the flip lever to get to reverse is absolutely insane
the hurst also requires a completely different shifter to change from 3speed (th350/th400) to 4 speed (2004r)

ive been using and installing a much easier to use B&M quicksilver , with a little work it fits the stock console shifter opening (no freaky looking plates needed) , its ratchets only one gear at a time and no grip release grip procedure just pull and let go you cant over shift . unlike the hurst it works for th350/th400 or 2004r without needing any change other than where you put the cable end into the trans shifter bracket under the car . all drive gears are on a drop down track so no chance of going to reverse accidentally
beleive me it makes cruising easy , racing its flawless and even my kid had no problem learning how to use it

heres a recent post from jakeshoe , he might be able to give you some options with the 350
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tr...0-not-full-manual-valve-body.html#post2549601

I don't mind the quarter stick, especially since its already in the car. I machined a custom plate to cover it. The reverse lever is a pain though. It would be nice to be able to just put it in "drive" and cruise around town. Motor is still out so at least I have a little time to figure it out.