Tuning help please

Joe DiMura

87gnvette69
so the car has the following; 42# injectors, walbro 305 hot wired, port matched heads/intake, 3" DP, 212/212 ft cam, 30 over, stock IC w/dutt, stock throttle body, rjc spacer, ls1 maf, translator plus gen2, scan master, extender extreme g chip, WB o2, 15# boost, precision 5862 turbo, initial timing set at 16*, fp set at 43# line off (PS i wish i knew how to put this info into my profile!!!)

so car is running great for the most part cruise blm around 123, off throttle drops to 119 and idles blm is 135, but when i start squeezing into the throttle building boost i always get b/t 1 & 2.5 kr and around 14.5 a/f at b/t 57-65 mph. I have added hi a/f from 3400rpm (18%) to 5800 rpm (30%) with very little luck. All other parameters have not been touched.

clearly i no expert at this and i would really appreciate any advice i can get. Thanks in advace.

so the car has the following; 42# injectors, walbro 305 hot wired, port matched heads/intake, 3" DP, 212/212 ft cam, 30 over, stock IC w/dutt, stock throttle body, rjc spacer, ls1 maf, translator plus gen2, scan master, extender extreme g chip, WB o2, 15# boost, precision 5862 turbo, initial timing set at 16*, fp set at 43# line off (PS i wish i knew how to put this info into my profile!!!)

so car is running great for the most part cruise blm around 123, off throttle drops to 119 and idles blm is 135, but when i start squeezing into the throttle building boost i always get b/t 1 & 2.5 kr and around 14.5 a/f at b/t 57-65 mph. I have added hi a/f from 3400rpm (18%) to 5800 rpm (30%) with very little luck. All other parameters have not been touched.

clearly i no expert at this and i would really appreciate any advice i can get. Thanks in advace.
I might have missed it but what fuel are you running?

I am thinking you may be close to maxing your injectors. Given that adding fuel isn't changing much. Your motor and turbo aren't doing much with such low timing and boost. Pump gas only?

If you don't COMPLETELY understand GEN 2...then I suggest taking it out of the car and going with a TT chip from Eric. Several of the guys on the board here are well versed in GEN 2 and can help you out.

93 pump gas and 16* is initial timing, which I set at 18* as suggested in the chip instructions and then i backed 2* out bc it was knocking worst before.

Are you getting knock on the gear change or in the middle of 3rd?
Does it sound at all happy? You don't want to beat on it until fixed but we can use info you already found out. Make sure fuel pressure is rising with boost 1to 1 .

it sounds find and don't really hear anything coming from the engine, at some point in the next week or so i'm going to log some runs on the powerloggers to get a more complete look at whats happening. I was thinking it could be gear change as it usually happens at the same mpg 57-61. what i'd like to get some advice on is should i just keep adding fuel in hi a/f at higher rpms?

What plugs?
Do you know how to read them?
Fuel psi tracking w/ boost?**
I don't think those injs are going to support that turbo, at hi boost.
What is the inj duty cycle at WOT/15#?**
What exh system is on the car?
Still have a cat?
** Powerlogger data streams.

I have added hi a/f from 3400rpm (18%) to 5800 rpm (30%) with very little luck. All other parameters have not been touched.
need to richen the afr before 3800rpm as your issues are starting at 57mph.if its not a shift issue/downpipe drivetrain issue it sounds like a low rpm high load situation where it needs more fuel.then you could also check your fuel pressure,plug gaps etc.

so I'm going to add some full below 3800 as suggested and get ab couple PL runs logged and post them. Car has NGK ur5 plugs at 35 gap and they look pretty good, maybe just a little - tiny little bit on the lean side by a visual inspection. 3000 "orange stripe" converter, SIC, TH DP, no cat, 2.5" dual exhaust.

When you read the plugs look way down in where the ceramic meets the threads. Also you really need magnification. The ceramic should be brown, not white. Pepper dots and white ceramic are the kiss of death. Detonation.

so I just tried doing some logs with my PL and this PC isn't connecting to the PL. Also, I remember that the PL used to have a green light come on with ignition on, it's not now. I thought I installed the software correctly, this is a new PC from the last I used to log back in 2009. Yep that long since I had time to play with this car. Control panel says its window 7. Can someone help

The green light will flash once at power on and once the powerlogger is reading data, it should flash steadily.

got it, that's what it's doing and now I think I have the drivers for the PL downloaded correctly for windows 10(PC is w10 not 7) and will hopefully log some runs this weekend and upload for some advise.

thanks to all so far

I'm not sure if I uploaded this PL file correctly, but please let me know if it provides anyone with info on what's going on with the knock issue I'm having. I know it's only one log but that's all I've been able to do so far.

thanks for any help I can get

Attachments

• LogFile.dat
    85.1 KB · Views: 48
so please don't open that file bc it is not the PL run. not sure how that happened. Most sorry! Can someone tell me how I can remove the post or file.