tuning for dyno - does it seem OK?

ez at nova

I hate rice
Dyno time coming up on Saturday. I put some 100 octane in the tank and put in my Jay C. 100 chip. I have the boost at 21 psi for now.
I noticed my O2's were a bit lean (750) at lower boost levels, as I was building up lb by lb so I bumped up my fuel pressure from 43 lbs to 46 lbs. Still, however, I see my O2s bounce from 720 - 780 (and sometimes 800) in third gear now. That 720 reading has me worried! Through all this though, I have a maximum of 0.7 knock. I bet I could get 22 or 23 lbs before I get real knock since I run 18 lbs on 94 octane, but wouldn't that drop my O2's even more? I didn't think that Jay C. chip would call for more than 46 lbs of FP.
In "street" form, with 94 octane and my 93 chip, I run 17/18 lbs and my O2's never go below 800. Could my 100 chip vs my 93 chip (both Jay C.) be leaning out those O2's? I want to go for nice numbers Saturday, but I also in no way can afford this car to grenade on me!

Thoughts?

I would tune with the KR myself.

I'd leave it at the boost setting with .7KR and run it.

Thanks guys. That's kind of what I figured. Even though those O2's seems very low...if there's no knock, I guess I'm fine. I think I'm correct in saying that low O2's cause high EGTs which are obviously bad. But, is there any corrolation between high EGT's and knock, or are thehy each bad things that happen for different reasons?

That 0.7 knock run was on one of about 7 WOT punches. The rest of them were 0.0. I almost thing it knocked when I went WOT slowly, at a time when I was full bosoting but not full fueling. I guess since I'll have 3 or 4 runs, if I get no knock on the first couple, I can crank it a lb more.

Anyone have some guesses?

Anyone want to toss some hp/tq guesses out for my combo with the tune mentioned above? I tell you, I like this 100 octane. It's fun breaking the tires loose at 40 mph.

My guess is..

..about 350-370 hsp@around 460-490 pounds of torque.

As for your tune, keep in mind the car will run richer on the dyno then on the street. You can not match the amount of air flowing while you are actually moving compared to sitting still on a dyno jet.

Watch for knock, and make sure the car is up around 55 mph in third when you drop the hammer or it will downshift and then upshift and give you inaccurate numbers.

Post your results.

Good Luck. :cool:

I've read that about being less lean on the dyno. Hopefully, the low 700 O2's won't show up then.

I still don't understand, how my O2's are never below 800 on 94 octane at 18 psi, and now with 100 octane and 21 psi, they are all the way down to 720 - 750. This is AFTER bumping FP by 3 up to 46.

Oh well, if things fatten up on the dyno, I suspect I could get 22 or 23 psi and maybe have a shot at cracking 400 hp? This motor does have 167k on it by the way. I have faith in her though!

Just run it Jeff, if it goes boom we will put a motor in it! Let us know what kinda power it makes..........Ed

Originally posted by Grand Nash
Just run it Jeff, if it goes boom we will put a motor in it! Let us know what kinda power it makes..........Ed

Sounds like you'll do it for free!! :D

If we have to do that, we should put one of them V-8's in there. There's no replacement for displacement! :p

I'M BACK

Results were mediocre, if not dissapointing....

363 hp / 434 torque

graph is attached on the "other" board

Think of it this way. How many people would love to say their streetable med size car has 363 HP and 434 Tq? Stock C5 has only 350 HP.

Time for an allky. kit so you can hit 24-25psi. all the time. :)

Prolly hit around 400HP too. :cool:

thats to the rear wheels isnt it? if so thats greater than a z06 which I saw a guy on another board pulled 340rwhp...

Thanks guys. Yes, these numbers are at teh rear wheels.
I guess I was initially dissapointed because I thought I remembered some STOCK turbo TR's getting more tq that I had. Also, with the Viper there putting down 50 more lb. ft. than I did, and the 03 Cobras there putting down about 405 hp (only 380's in torque though)