Tune ?'s

TRDirks

Just another Tim ;-)
I am wondering what you guys think I should have the idle and timing set to on a street stage engine.

Details:
4.1 offcenter 270 cubes
M&A heads 2.02/1.60
230/230 Hyd flat cam
@9 to 1 comp.
72lb inj.
66BB P trim w/.81

I will be using a Trans+ and extender extreme. Appetite will be pump gas. I do have the SMC dual kit aswell but I want a good base without the alchy and then I'll tune it up from there with the settings in the translator.

Timing lowgear/highgear?
Idle speed?

TIA

Ted,

I run my car on the crappy 91 octane pump gas we get here in CA. What do you run your car on?

Neal

Ditch the extender. Get an Electronic EM system, such as a FAST (Fel-Pro, whatever they call themselves this week) or MOTEC. Make sure you get a Wideband O2 sensor.

Scrap the pump gas idea. Too many people *try* that route, turn up the boost, create excess cylinder pressure, blow gaskets, and watch as depression sets in. Run C-16 if you're going to race it, otherwise pump gas is ok. Fuel is cheaper than metal.

OK, let me clarify.

I DO NOT plan on running 10's on pump gas!

I am looking for assistance with base settings so that I can safely tool around at safe power levels on pump gas
(read: LOW BOOST).

When I go to the track and crank it up I will use C16.

Originally posted by TRDirks
I am wondering what you guys think I should have the idle and timing set to on a street stage engine.

I will be using a Trans+ and extender extreme. Appetite will be pump gas.

While not a Stage II, I did spend some time with a WB on a Ruggles Engined 109, with 72s, and Extender Extreme. The AFR in open loop was button on. Tell Bob exactly what you have, and he'll get you close on what you need. Start rich, and with the timing retarded, and the watch the data logs about what the knock sensor, and match that to your ets. Then slowly add some timing, and lean her down. EGT and WB are obviously good investments to protect your engine. Low 11s on AFR seem to be an in the neighbor hood number, but that's going to vary from car to car.

BTW, leaving light, and shutting off at the 1,000 mark with the boost down he did a low 11, with the EE defaults.

Originally posted by 750H.P.V6
Ted,

I run my car on the crappy 91 octane pump gas we get here in CA. What do you run your car on?

Neal

C-16 all the time. I don't drive this thing around town, I would rather drive my truck. I assumed he wanted to tune for performance on pump gas and use alky.

I wouldn't be afraid to have pump gas in mine, but I would not even think of getting on it with it in there.

Ted,

I see where you were coming from now. I personally don't favor the pump gas/alcohol injection idea either. I do however drive my car on pump gas and de-tune it accordingly. I figure as long as you are conservative as Bruce outlined above there is no reason to fear pump gas.

Neal

Yeah, what Neal said. I'm running pump gas with low timing (what, Neal - 17 deg?) and boost in the 13-14 psi range on 91 octane with S2 heads and a T-76. Of course I monitor knock very closely, running stock modded ecm (with knock sensor and retard in the chip), MAF tans, 96 pph injectors.

Just recently got the Spark Extender, so I may try fooling around with the Extender Extreme that Bob Bailey sent me to try out (with 27 degrees advance!)