Billet roller cam recommendation for built "109" setup with T-70BB

gnx7

I've decided if I'm spending this much money on my engine why put in an old school technology flat tappet cam when I can run a billet roller setup. My 4 main motivators are better idle quality with silent running (no more sewing machine 218 noise), no flat cam issues (which I've never had anyway), faster opening valves that stay open longer, and great midrange/top end pull.

I need some medium/large sized cam recommendations for the following setup:

"109" based shortblock with JE's, billet caps, JW flexplate, BHJ harmonic balancer (tight clearances)
Ported PTE iron heads with T&D 1.65's
ported ANS lower intake, stock upper with 62/65mm JJTB mod
SMC alcohol injection
ATR headers, T-70BB (.82 A/R), 72 injectors
LS1 MAF with Trans Plus and Extender Extreme chip
Spearco FMIC, 3" THDP and 3.5" mandrel bent exhaust
Built TH200-4R with AC9.5" 3200-3400 LU stall convertor

Going into my 2700lb (without driver) RX-7 "street car" :D where it will be legal to go 9's (NHRA legal at least... maybe not street legal) with all the correct SFI stuff (maybe not the trans shield until they say so).

I have spoken with a friend and am looking at the ATR 214/210 (Crane) and wondering what else is out there that people are running and running fast with. I plan to run 21* timing about 90% of the time (in my chip currently) and maybe down the line some higher timing. I plan mainly to run 91 octane with alchy or a mix of 91/100 with alchy so timing will be around there.

I want an idle no worse than a 218R flat tappet, great midrange and top end pull, and something that is still streetable. I have no a/c or p/s and only run an alternator on a custom mount so vaccuum isn't as big of an issue. I do have vaccuum assisted brakes.

Goal is to run 145mph in the 1/4 and over winter will probably put the car on a diet and get it down to 2400-2500lbs, ditch the IRS and put in a 4 link solid axle 8.8" Ford setup with good axles, 2.73 gears and 28x10.5" tires out back.

Scottie GNZ (GN powered 240Z) is running 3:08 gears out back and 26x9.5" slicks with a TE-63, stock cam, ported heads, and is starting to blow the tires away and 60fts in the 1.4-1.5x range so I know the gearing should be fine.

I'm currently limited to 26x8.5" slicks and 4:10's with the IRS... I know I'll have to go thru the traps in OD as I do currently even with a stock turbo at 115mph.

Enuf info? Anyone care to chime in? I would like to order this sucker by next week and send to my machine shop.

-GNX7

Correct. A roller will not be totally quiet. Mine makes a fair amount of noise but nothing compared to my old 210/205 flat tappet. Ive had several rollers. The 1st was a 210/210 roller from PTE. That was an awesome cam , idled great and the car picked up quite nicely. Next and the current is the 214/214. This cam has taken me into the low 10s. Out of the 2 i prefer the 210.

There are many others out there. I think they are all good choices, but try not to go too big. Heard lots of good thing on the split patern camslike u mention.Personally i would like to try a PTE 218/218 or even a 220/220, but this is for a STRIP/street car.

Your engine build is almost an exact copy of Woody's [AZGN] car and he has gone 10.7 with another 1000#'s. He has a 214/210 billet roller, idles nice, he drives the car to and from the track with cold A/C.

A few other local cars also use this grind with great success. A step up in cam we go with a 224/224. Pulls like crazy on top end and not a bad idle.

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Your engine build is almost an exact copy of Woody's [AZGN] car and he has gone 10.7 with another 1000#'s. He has a 214/210 billet roller, idles nice, he drives the car to and from the track with cold A/C.

I thought Woody has a 214/214 billet roller:confused:

I've heard that the 212/206 billet roller that Weber sells is a nice grind for a street/strip car and my dad has a PTE 210/210 billet roller and it seems to get the job done very well (doesn't make much noise IMO and it pulls up to 6K rpm like nothing).....

Originally posted by Nick Micale
He may have said that is in of his "moments"!:D

It IS a 214/210.

I guess you would know, but in that case he might want to make a little change to his sig......

It reads........

"Woody

86GN - TE-45(A), V4, 55's, ported steel, 214/214 Billet roller
new times 10.72@127.6"

:) :cool:

I installed the atr roller kit myself anbout 2 months ago. was very easy to install and is very quiet. I adjusted preload, checked it 5 times before ordering the correct pushrods. It is the 214/210 with comp roller lifters. I love it, cant complain. I have about 1000 miles since. I opened up about 2 filters since for reassurance, everything is great. Mine is very quiet, no more lifter noise. the car used to sound like crap with the flat tappet, I hated it.

good luck
Ralph

I'm going to try the 218/212 with that combo this fall. Not billet though, this cam is the ductile roller from comp. Heard good things bout em so far.

I used the 214/210 in 3 cars that have run 10sec times.I used to use the 218R from comp.They both work well,it depends on the $$$$$

cam

My son has an almost identical set up as yours. He has a Comp. 218-224 with .500 intake and .520 exhaust ( that was with 1.55 rockers). I use the same cam but not near the same eng. It is a great top end cam with a little lumpy idle.

I am starting to feel the urge to order the 214/210 setup..... I really want my car to be more strip/street than street/strip.... but I think at the weight level I'm at the roller cam will not really matter much.

If there are others that can chime in please do.

A local racer had a TTYpe at around 3300-3400lbs I'm guessing with built shortblock, PTE-218R cam (flat tappet), ported iron heads and lower intake, 70mm TB, FAST, 55lbers, TE-63, V1 FMIC, built trans with AC9" NLU and ran a 10.40@128mph which I found very impressive. mid/low 1.4x 60ft. 25psi boost with 116 in the tank and I believe 25/26* timing.

I think his flat tappet worked well.... but I imagine a roller would give a few more MPH.

Others running rollers and big shaft turbos please add your experience and comments as I want to do this right the first time and only once.

-GNX7

I think that was the Erson 220 from Big D. You're talking about CB's car right? I doubt it's any different than the 220 you'll find in the Erson catalog. Big D recommended it for his combo. With the FAST, the run was made with only 20-22 PSI however I think the turbo was larger than a 63. Head gasket blew shortly after and the 210 PTE roller and Crane 212/206 roller went in after. The PTE was quickly removed because it was an econo roller and pieces were flaking off. Car went slower with same boost levels on both rollers but were much more streetable.

yes CB's car. I thought he had a PTE-218R flat tappet that went 128mph @ around 25psi.....

Slower with same boost levels with the two rollers... not what I wanted to hear..... Actually what I don't want.

-Mark

I have the Crane 214/210 roller. Great cam and I thinks it's quiet. So far I put 50,000 miles on it. I got 26mpg (AC on) on my drive to Norwalk Buick meet (1600 miles round trip) My best at 3860lbs is 11.50@122 21lbs of boost and no traction (1.71 60ft) I fixed my traction issues and looking for 10.70's soon. With your weight you will need 2 parachutes.;)

Ed,

"3860lbs is 11.50@122 21lbs of boost ........" :eek:

That is great news to hear you have put 50,000 miles on it also and very reassuring for many of us. Wow! How many years/months has it been in there and what boost setting do you typically keep it at 99% of the time?

About how many trips to the strip per year (passes per year) do you make and what are your typical boost levels that you run?

I'm getting more excited about dropping $1K for a damn camshaft.

Personnally this is the fastest car I've ever owned and that is with the stock turbo setup (11.60's). I am not really sure how to react when I add another 200hp+ to the car with its light weight. I guess the car will run E/T Streets or Hoosier QTP's from now on.

-Mark (GNX7)

Originally posted by gnx7

Personnally this is the fastest car I've ever owned and that is with the stock turbo setup (11.60's). I am not really sure how to react when I add another 200hp+ to the car with its light weight. I guess the car will run E/T Streets or Hoosier QTP's from now on.

-Mark (GNX7)

I think I would be afraid to make a full on pass in your car for a couple of reasons.....

-Pretty light car (2670lbs)....
-Short wheel base.....

and last but not least....

-About 650-750hp!

You might want to bring some Depends (diapers) for your first passes with the car and I hope it's got a roll cage!

Be careful dude cause going from an 11 second car to a 9 second car is a BIG jump:eek:

Originally posted by gnx7
Ed,

"3860lbs is 11.50@122 21lbs of boost ........" :eek:

That is great news to hear you have put 50,000 miles on it also and very reassuring for many of us. Wow! How many years/months has it been in there and what boost setting do you typically keep it at 99% of the time?

About how many trips to the strip per year (passes per year) do you make and what are your typical boost levels that you run?

I'm getting more excited about dropping $1K for a damn camshaft.

-Mark (GNX7)

With 94 pump gas I leave it at 17-18lbs . It's in close to 2 years now after the budger roller nighmare. I drove to the mid west 3 times, Bristol and Norwalk event, all the local events and close to 300 miles a week. Also about 200 track passes.
I did upgrade the valve springs to K-Motion 750's two months ago. I was getting a little high end pop and the new springs cured it. I followed Lonnie Diers installation with the torrington bearing fitted behind the cam gear and the RPM anti-walk kit. I have stock heads and stock size Manley valves with major port and polish work.
JE 20over pistons and the rest of the normal Buick machine work.

I think I would be afraid to make a full on pass in your car for a couple of reasons.....
86Brick, at least you did say "I think" :D :D

Check my sig. I went 129+ with Nittos and could take my hands off the wheel on the big end. Took a while to figure out bias-ply race tires, correct pressures and especially trying to run them with big 17" radials in the front :eek: and [/dumbass] :D Now, launches straight as an arrow and steady as a rock at 132.

Oh yes, 2,750lbs with IRS. The RX-7 and Z-car are not like the little econoboxes you always see trying to swap lanes on the big end.