tta questions ???

turbojenni

i just bought 2 tta's off this board. just got them home the other day and was wondering what the car #'s were? vin# 1g5fw2172kl245858 also 1g5fw2173kl245593 also what is the diffrence in 2172 and 2173 in the vin# where they built at diffrent plants? also wondering 1 of the cars was built up with steel caps ,forged pistons, 212 cam not a roller. pt 54 turbo,57# injectors ported heads with bigger valves and lt1 springs? also a new tranny by mike kurtz and a 3000 stall convertor.also mass air pipe and k&n 340 walbro pump,adjustable regulator, also has a aftermarket throttle body and plenum. any ideas on how fast this will run on alky or race gas with the boost jacked up? are low elevens or high tens in the cards? thanks for all the help i appreciate it

Both cars look to be in the 1100-1150 range. The difference in the VIN numbers is the "check digit" number. That will vary from car to car and is based on the actual VIN number. There is a formula to figure it out. www.thirdgen.com has a VIN decoder and what each number means. Although the TTA doesn't show up right because of the 1G5 and engine , but it has good information on the rest.

Cant help you on the VIN. The converter may be a little small for a 54. can it run low 11's.. sure.. but tuning is required :D

Bo ran 11.34 with a stock longblock and a TA49 on alky.

Congrats.. careful how you start to squeeze..

My husband used to have one and he tried to find out the build # but all we were given was a range.

Originally posted by gngirlfriend
My husband used to have one and he tried to find out the build # but all we were given was a range.

they're not all figured out... sometime you can only get a range.

if you want the exact number you have to pay pontiac historical services. they send you a little kit of info....

I only have a range myself and e-mailed PHS and they sent me this reply to which I plan on buying shortly.

We have a special package for the owners of the 1989 Turbo Trans Ams. This package will include:
a copy of the Pontiac press releases, press photo, production information, an exact copy of the
window sticker that came on the car, plus a signed letter to authenticate the sequence number
of your car among the 1555 cars that were built. The charge for this package is $35.00.

I just orded my kit from PHS. Hopefully get it soon.. I've been looking for the build sheet in the car as well. Seems like Pontiac liked to keep the build number secret! :cool: