TTA for T-Type trade

pvt num 11

Finally driving it
Saw an ad in the paper for a 56K '87 T-type, ad said it was pretty much mint and he only asked for 8500. Well, my TTA is still inactive, needs brakes, body work and a lot of other sundry items, so I called him up and inquired if he would like to trade...?

He used to own a TTA way back when, so he's very interested. Going to look at the T-type Sunday, if schedules permit.

When I was on Oahu 4 years ago, there was only 1 TTA known to be there which was owned by some lady previously according to the dozen or so local TB guys at the track (that is no longer there)... The TTA may have been on Maui at the time...memory is fadding :eek:

My TTA was owned by a model, Judy, in Honolulu. Nice asian lady, married to a pilot or something. She was somewhat of a Firebird fanatic, but they were stepping out of the F-body arena for good with the sale of the TTA, as far a I know. She had came really close to buying one of the 2002 Trans Am units, but she wasn't fond of the screaming yellow paint job. I'm not either, but LS1 power and a stick trans might change my mind if I ever drove one...

Judy was the second owner, pampered the car as much as possible, but it needed a lot of TLC and stuff that I just am not capable of giving it - plus having it sit for a year under a carport didn't do anything good to the car, either. I drove it for a year and some change when I first got it, enjoyed it immensely, but when the MAF died, I think my enthusiasm for the car died as well. It's taken me almost a year to come to grips with this, and every new little problem I find doesn't help kindle the fire, so to speak.

I think I'm ready to cut myself loose while the car is still salvagable to someone who knows more about these things then I do - and then I'll have a fresh start with a T-Type that has (from what the owner says) virtually zero defects and runs very well.

Not sure if I would keep it stock or just stock-appearing...

Hopefully the T-Type is in excellent shape. If you get a turbo buick from someone that isn't really an enthusiast it's probably going to need some work and have some problems. I would be scared to own one if I didn't know how to work on it. Once they have the bugs worked out they are awesome, but I know it can be stressful when you are going through one that's not up to par. If a bad mass air grounded you for a year I'd question weather getting another turbo buick is a good idea.

She had came really close to buying one of the 2002 Trans Am units, but she wasn't fond of the screaming yellow paint job. I'm not either, but LS1 power and a stick trans might change my mind if I ever drove one...
The 2002 Special Edition is nothing more than a paint/decal and embrodried seat difference than any other WS6 '02 TA. There is no performance difference...same is true of the '99 30th Anniv TA...only the 20th TTA was truely a different drive train than any other TA model. So get any '02 WS6 TA and enjoy if you like those cars.

But agreed, if a MAF put you out of the enthuasiasm of ownership, you should consider a different car, probably a newer one that a dealer or mechanic can fix as I'm sure there's not many mechanics in HI that can work on LC2s. A MAF is a 5 minute fix and easily diagnosed with a scan tool.
How many miles are on the TTA and whats your selling price..just curious..shipping it to the states is probably another $2500 or so.