TTA belt length question

hesermon

At the seminar I heard him say that the TA belt is different because of the compressor being different and if you used a GN belt you would have problems. I did not get a chance to hear what "problems". My compressor has been changed because last summer I started getting a vibration when I turned the air on, I figured it was the compressor beginning to tie up so instead of waiting for it to go completely out I replaced it with an aftermarket. The noise went away and I was happy. Less then one year later the same exact noise is back, only when the ac is on and mostly at certain RPM's (just above idle). Hardly notice it at idle and cruising speed but as I pull away from a stop it sounds like the whole engine is shaking. Is this likely related to belt length? I don't remember if I changed the belt with the compressor last year so I figured I'd put a new belt on it but what size since I now have an aftermarket compressor? Any suggestions?

This is what I use with stock AC compressor, may be different with a aftermarket compressor:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 391
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 373
I use the K060630 on all Turbo Buicks. The K060640 that the GN call for in most books almost always ends up rattling the tensioner because it is too long.

I use the Napa belt number 060623. The dimensions are 21mm by 1595mm.

K060623 will fit the stock compressor.

K060630 will fit the TTA with an aftermarket compressor.

Jason

Jason - I used the K060630, and it seemed fine, although I am still trying to chase a rattling noise at idle. I have the stock AC compressor. That size is too long? I had space between the AC compressor and idler like Mike shows in the pictures. The stock belt I took off was definitely longer than the one I replaced it with.

The 630 on my car was to long. I also have the stock compressor. I would just try the shorter belt. It worked great for mine and I bet it will fix your rattle unless a tensioner is going bad on you.

Jason

Jason - I used the K060630, and it seemed fine, although I am still trying to chase a rattling noise at idle. I have the stock AC compressor. That size is too long? I had space between the AC compressor and idler like Mike shows in the pictures. The stock belt I took off was definitely longer than the one I replaced it with.

I had the same problem with the belt that was on there, it was either stretched badly or someone had put the wrong size on there. Or had the 60640 on there. The tensioner would hit the AC compressor, especially with the AC on, it would also rattle badly.

So the 60630 corrected all this, might even try Jason's shorter belt type in the future.

I think you might have been sitting in front of me at Scott Kelley's presentation, weren't you the tall guy with the blue shirt on? And your son was sitting in front of you.:)

Yep - that was me. I didn't get to meet a few people there. Sorry I didn't get to introduce myself Mike. What was the give away - the New York accent?

Its real simple the K060630 is a 6 grove 63" long belt. The last three digits are the length. The GN belt is 64" long. The Napa belt is 62.3" long and will work best.

Steve K.

I had the 63" belt on , but it rattled with ac on. I am not sure if it stretched or not as I cut it to get it out, I have a goodyear 4060620 and 406030 to try . Im hoping the 62" will squeeze on.

I had the 63" belt on , but it rattled with ac on. I am not sure if it stretched or not as I cut it to get it out, I have a goodyear 4060620 and 406030 to try . Im hoping the 62" will squeeze on.

No need to cut the belt off or trying to squeeze a belt on.

Just use a 17mm socket with long handle rachet on the tensioner pulley bolt in clockwise direction to take tension off the belt or put new belt on.

I cut the belt after i had it off the tensioner. I dont have the front end jacked up and the intercooler fan makes things a little tight to snake the belt past it. Once i finish working on it , i may have to drive it on stands to get the belt around the crank from the bottom. Anyone just change it out from the top ?

I cut the belt after i had it off the tensioner. I dont have the front end jacked up and the intercooler fan makes things a little tight to snake the belt past it. Once i finish working on it , i may have to drive it on stands to get the belt around the crank from the bottom. Anyone just change it out from the top ?

Anyone just change it out from the top ?

I did but I had someone else helping me.

I changed it from the top. It took a little effort to get it around the intercooler fan, but it is definitely doable.

The goodyear 406030 fits perfectly. the 406020 is way to short. Did it from on top with very little swearing.

so jan can buy and ship the correct size belts to us! ;)

As long as I can still get them from the same source, special order to get the goodyear branded belts, I can help you guys out.

How many would be interested and how many do you need? Let me know and I will look at cost and shipping.

As long as I can still get them from the same source, special order to get the goodyear branded belts, I can help you guys out.

How many would be interested and how many do you need? Let me know and I will look at cost and shipping.

wonders what the goodyear gator back part # would be ????