Trying to understand trans cooling circuit pressure concerns...

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
So it was brought up in my other post about stacked plate coolers possibly causing increases in cooling circuit pressures. I want to understand this concern better so I don't make a mistake re-doing my trans cooler lines and cooler. Also, it has been mentioned to me to not run both an external cooler and utilize the one in the radiator due to this also.
Is it because 2 coolers will cause the source side to increase pressure in order to push the fluid through both coolers? Are stacked plate coolers that restrictive? I see some advertised as "low pressure" drop..what causes the pressure drop which I am assuming is in the return side??

My previous setup which has been on there for 25 years did go through the radiator and a tube and fin ext cooler and the factory steel lines and I did not experience any trans issues running mid 11s for the last 10 years.
New setup will have new 3/8" hoses ran through the frame up to the front, eliminating the restrictive stock tubes. The stacked plate cooler I was leaning towards has 34 rows of plates in a 12x10 layout, with 34 rows, I don't understand how a -6an line could get restricted by 34 rows if that is the cause of the loss of pressure on the return and increase in pressure on the source side...or am I just completely off in my thinking?? Wouldn't be the first time...
Thanks in advance

thank you for posting this. I was confused also if the stacked plate cooler increased pressure from better flow or increased back pressure

thank you for posting this. I was confused also if the stacked plate cooler increased pressure from better flow or increased back pressure
Good point, I wasn't even thinking that increased pressure on the return side, meaning better / easier flow, could be bad....can it?
Or even that the cooler works so well that when it cools the hot fluid it results in too low of pressure on the return??

Last edited:
You could test them with a regulated air supply. Do some comparison's However you'd have to buy them. Maybe someone did this already not sure?

I'm certainly not any kind of expert but from what I've read the pressure concerns stem from excessive pressure forcing the torque converter into the crank and tearing up the thrust bearing in the engine.

I'm certainly not any kind of expert but from what I've read the pressure concerns stem from excessive pressure forcing the torque converter into the crank and tearing up the thrust bearing in the engine.
And that is basically what I have read and heard, but what is not clear is what is the source of the excessive pressure. Eitehr 1) Trying to force the fluid through the circuit due to a restriction, or 2) excessive fluid volume/pressure on the returning side? Or 3) just the cooling of the fluid causing a pressure drop on the cooled/return side?

Chris from CK performance, Bison and myself spent a whole 12-14+hour day about 10 years ago on converter charge testing on a fixed line pressure TH400. We saw an excess of 50+ psi increase in converter charge pressure just by using a bar and plate type cooler that I had provided. This pressure was tapped right at the pump and has absolutely no effect from cooling. Its been so long that I probably forgot half the stuff we did but the results were convincing.
AG.

Last edited:
Chris from CK performance, Bison and myself spent a whole 12-14+hour day about 10 years ago on converter charge testing on a fixed line pressure TH400. We saw an excess of 50+ psi increase in converter charge pressure just by using a bar and plate type cooler that I had provided. This pressure was tapped right at the pump and has absolutely no effect from cooling. Its been so long that I probably forgot half the stuff we did but the results were convincing.
AG.

So what is the best way to cool the transmission?

How does the Gnx cooler fall in to your tests?

I have a non lock up trans and it can can run 210 on the highway if I'm over 65mph.

Thanks
D

So what is the best way to cool the transmission?

How does the Gnx cooler fall in to your tests?

I have a non lock up trans and it can can run 210 on the highway if I'm over 65mph.

Thanks
D
That's a loaded question. My preference would be to run an external tube and fin cooler after the radiator since they are nearly free flowing although not as efficient. But who cares as long as it does its job without adding backpressure.
AG.

I tried to get some answers/opinions in the other thread also but their wasn't anymore replies,:cautious:

There are so many different opinions and not every solution works for everybody. I'm sure people have run bar and plate coolers with no issues but I would prefer not to take the chance.
My situation is also a little more unique in the fact that I have my own designed switchable stall. I want to evacuate the oil from the converter as easy and efficiently as possible. Having restrictions don't do me any favors.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, wouldn't their be some knock readings if this were occurring ?

That's a loaded question. My preference would be to run an external tube and fin cooler after the radiator since they are nearly free flowing although not as efficient. But who cares as long as it does its job without adding backpressure.
AG.
OK, I think that answers my question about where the increase is coming from...It's due to the restrictive cooler or lines. In order to cooler effeciently, the flow must be slowed to cool it well...hence why the stacked plate design is "best for cooling".

Couple more questions come to mind concerning the test that y'all did:
1) Was that through the factory steel tube lines for the comparison?
2) Do you recall how many plates were in the cooler used or the size?

I'm assuming using 6an hose instead will help with the elimination of that restriction, and the more plates on the cooler the less restriction, would you agree?

Thanks for the information you provided!

Interesting, wouldn't their be some knock readings if this were occurring ?
I'm guessing not because it probably is not being forced up that fast, but gradually the pressure increases...once it is pressing against the crank/trust bearing its not knocking, just putting excessive force on it.

I think most of the crank thrust issues are mostly due to TH400 fixed line pressure applications. I could be wrong but I don't recall hearing problems with modulated pressure 200R4 applications. I would still play it safe....
AG.