Getting closer to trying to start engine after frame off, but no fuel pressure reading

In post #12 you said it fired right up. Did you check the gauge while it was running?

I replaced my 12+ yr old Accufab with new in December and noticed the same drop off - because I was actually looking at the gauge because of a fuel issue I was chasing. I suspect it always did it, but I was never really paying attention to the gauge at shutoff because I never had it mounted to the windshield prior. I posted a thread about it. If it's maintaining constant, correct FP while running, it should not be an issue. That's assuming you trust the gauge.

My fuel issue is resolved and I'm logging FP now and I have had no issues with pressure and yes, it does drop to zero PSI within about 15 seconds of shutting the engine off.

In post #12 you said it fired right up. Did you check the gauge while it was running?

I replaced my 12+ yr old Accufab with new in December and noticed the same drop off - because I was actually looking at the gauge because of a fuel issue I was chasing. I suspect it always did it, but I was never really paying attention to the gauge at shutoff because I never had it mounted to the windshield prior. I posted a thread about it. If it's maintaining constant, correct FP while running, it should not be an issue. That's assuming you trust the gauge.

My fuel issue is resolved and I'm logging FP now and I have had no issues with pressure and yes, it does drop to zero PSI within about 15 seconds of shutting the engine off.
I now have everything working properly and yes have run the car extensively (with a couple of drives around the neighborhood), and I am trying to work through all the punch list items while waiting to get it into paint. The fuel gauge reads properly and I set it according to the procedure (something like 42 psi w/o vacuum and 33 or so with vacuum; whatever the paperwork said I did and it does it). But I still have the issue that the fuel pressure immediately drops (in a second or two at most) after the engine is shut off. I know it‘s not a big deal to run it that way, but it would start faster (I have to crank several seconds to build up the pressure and then it fires immediately) and if I can have it work properly and hold pressure I’d like to do so.

Curious....what are the temps these days where you are? I don't have hard start issues when the temps are above 45 or so in the garage. Below that, I do have to goose it a bit during the second crank. I was concerned about a leaking injector but it only started when the temps dropped. This past week here the temps were unseasonably warm (high 50s / low 60s) and I was doing some swapping around with the fuel gauge hose and after each change it fired up on the first crank when cold. I have to say, problem or not, it is pretty convenient to be able to pull the fuel line off shortly after shutting the engine off and not having to bleed it first.

I use one of these to check the pressure. Acton brand about $35.
It depresses the valve like a tire gauge does. Drains via the small fish tank hose to relieve pressure.
I don't trust rail gauges and I don't like that valve out of the rail either.
I check mine every few years to see of the gremlins changed the pressure.
View attachment 390320
This the exact one I used to check the 90 degree schraeder valve rails gas pressure

Attachments

• 90 degree gas schraeder valve.jpg
    90 degree gas schraeder valve.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 38
  • gas pressure gauge.jpg
    gas pressure gauge.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
At the risk of resurrecting a dead horse, wanted to mention that I replaced my $9.00 FP gauge that I installed temporarily with a better quality one yesterday. Pic attached. It's still not a $50.00 - $100.00+ gauge but what I observed is that it does hold PSI a little longer at key on / engine off and key off after running. It drops to about 20 PSI after a few seconds and maintains 10 PSI for about 3 minutes. Point being that maybe the OP should check your gauge since you're witnessing pressure dropping to zero immediately. Not saying the Accufab should behave the way it does but if you can hold 20 PSI at key on prior to cranking it could help with your hard starts. Also still interested in hearing what your ambient air temps are this time of year.

Attachments

• Resized_20230225_141744.jpeg
    Resized_20230225_141744.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45