trying to start the Gale Banks/Kenne Bell twin turbo engine. no start

Mike Diaz

Enlarged member
I bought the car last week and just got a chance to play with it. Checked fluids and oil. No start. Time to check fuel and spark. Anything else i should be doing to this since it sat for 6 years?

fuel, spark and compression are what is needed. I know nothing about the motor. Are there any fuel cutoffs?

It goes from electric fuel pump to a fuel filter, to an adjustable fuel pressure regular with a vent to the tank. Then through a pressure gauge to the carb. I have verified spark coming from the distributor.

I would bypass the original fuel system.....6 years without starting equals a lot of fuel issues...

A 6 yr span with that carb sitting with who knows what in it???..................X ray hit it.

I would definately go through the carb regardless
Bound to run poorly sitting that long if there was gas in the carb

I changed the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic and it's a lot quieter. It's not this noisy in person.

Next step is removal, check, and cleanup.

I'm only running it for 30 seconds or less. I've had it running 5 times now. Complete cool down in between.

I was surprised to see the compressor wheels stop spinning at idle. If you reach in and spin them with your fingers (engine off) do they spin like normal?

I was surprised to see the compressor wheels stop spinning at idle. If you reach in and spin them with your fingers (engine off) do they spin like normal?

They spin free but they are a bit tight. I'm sending them out to be micro polished and rebuilt.

I started some tear down today. Everything is coming apart nicely. Nothing is broken.
WiPf7XO.jpg