Trying to Pre-Diagnose

DragCamaro

Real-Keeper
So here the deal, I'm about to make my move on a local 87 GN but its got a slight problem and I was curious what everyone thought it sounded like.
The car is slow to start and it has a kind of bad hesitation, It has to be throttled a little to Start and when driving, if you give it some gas it sputters and misses for a little bit before taking off. Now for some background on the car; its an 87 GN, with 66k miles that the owner knows nothing about. he
got it in a trade. The car has also been sitting for about 7 months. its got a 3 in. down pipe, TA49 turbo, 42 pound injectors, and some kind of chip

im thinking it needs some plugs and to be driven, it didnt seem to be running rich when i saw it, but i only saw it for a brief time. it just acted like mine did on a cold start, like it needed time to warm up but it wasnt givin it. i just got to take it up the road and back so i didnt get a good drive in it because i had to go to work.
anything else that could cause the car to act erratic like that?
thanks, Mark

After sitting for seven months could be bad gas. Also could just need spring cleaning. Clogged injectors, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter...
If it can be bought for a good price and you can do the work go for it as long as it shifts ok and doesn't knock

Bryan

After sitting for seven months could be bad gas. Also could just need spring cleaning. Clogged injectors, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter...
If it can be bought for a good price and you can do the work go for it as long as it shifts ok and doesn't knock

Bryan

the transmission is new and has about 50 miles according to the guy, previous owner was his brother so im going to talk to him to get some more detail on the car. im thinking spring cleaning too. i should have less than 5k in the car getting it to my house. no rust, the seats are kinda rough though.
it had a fuel pressure gauge on it but i had a brain fart and never even thought of looking at fuel pressure. i think im gonna take it before someone else does and do a good spring cleaning on it

That should be a good buy. Keep us posted on progress if you purchase it. If you don't purchase it post for us to buy:biggrin:

Bryan

Sounds like old gas and just needs a tune up. Good luck, sounds like a good deal.
Tarey

other thing the car needs is a scantool, i have a laptop, should i go with a powerlogger setup vs a scanmaster?
thanks for the input guys
mark

also any reccomendation on stuff to run through the tank to clean her up a bit? around here everyone swears by seafoam, wasnt sure if you guys knew of anything better

also any reccomendation on stuff to run through the tank to clean her up a bit? around here everyone swears by seafoam, wasnt sure if you guys knew of anything better
fresh gas is the only "cleaner" it should need.
might want to keep a couple of new fuel filters on hand.

Fresh gas... I always add some seafoam and then do a new fuel filter. Get a scanmaster for the basic diagnostics and make sure the TPS and IAC are set properly. Nothing makes the car run worse if they are not properly set ( well, maybe a bad maf, etc...) I digress...

Anyway, spring cleaning is a must and just take lots of pics and take your time going through the car. (btw, the pics are for "us" so that we can look at yet another TR- as if we haven't already seen enough:rolleyes: ... Oh, and it helps us to be able to tell you what may or may not be out of place.)

Good Luck with the purchase.