Trunk Rattle Help

GNasty

I'm hearing all sorts or rattles going over bumps, coming from the trunk area.

I took the spare tire and hardware completely out, the jack seems secure b/c it doesn't move at all.

It sounds like the trunk latch is banging over bumps. I can push the trunk lid up and down (with it closed) and hear the noise.

What is the fix for this?:confused:

Anything else I should be looking at? The speakers have a horrible design...no bolts!

Raise the rubber bumpstops to the left and right of the hook attached to the car. This is in the event that you still have the bumpstops.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Are the two rubber bumpers in place at the back of the trunk lid? Those should compress and keep the lid from moving.

Both bump stops were there, and screwed in all the way...I'll unscrew them a little and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, go get new ones. I f they're 25+ years old they have exceeded the life expectancy....by 25+ years :)

I found some in the help section at auto zone.

I have the same issue--only it is a kind of rattle/squeak. Could be those bumpers--I will check it out. Gotta get everything out of the trunk first...

Make sure its not your frame hitting the bottom of trunk floor. (body mounts might be gone)

On my car one of the spot welds that held the bottom trunk latch mechanism to the body of the car broke. I messed with the rubber bumpers till I found this. Check this my trying to move the bottom trunk latch side to side and listen

Craig

I have had an issue where the torsion rods rattle. Just moved them a little and it went away.

Great replys! Thanks guys! I unscrewed the two rubber bump stops as far as they would go out while maintaining support, and lubed them up, and I can't get any noise from pushing down on the trunk anymore. Dead quiet now! I can't road test b/c the weather got crappy this week. I'm going to take it out this weekend when it hits 50 again. Give me more info on the torsion rods above...I want to look at everything possible coming from the rear of the car. Thanks

They are the two rods the hold up the lid. They run under where the speakers are. Mine were rattling pretty loud over even small bumps so I just grabbed it on one side where it slots into the bracket and i pushed it a little, and the rattle stopped. But it sounds like you have your issue figured out.