Tried to remove the power antenna........

Boostmeister

and the fender does not remove like a regular GN. How is it held on? It almost looks lke it is glued together in the wheel well. Anybody removed the antenna before? Procedure? Tips?

I've swapped out the antenna, but I did it the difficult / wrong way. What I did was drilled out the rivets, separated the inner panels from the fender, and then replaced the rivets.

I since talked to another GNX owner who told me all he did was remove the fender louvre, inner louvre duct, and fish the antenna out through the opening. I would definitely try that first because drilling out the rivets and risking creasing the fender is no fun.

Hope this helps,
-john

I'd like to know how to do the antenna also.

I've got a question on how you remove the fender vents without damaging them and loosing the wing nut inside the fender?

I replaced the antenna on my '84, but once I got the flare off the GNX I gave up quickly when I saw how the fender was put together.

I think Kirban's used to sell a book that explained the procedure, but I don't know if it's still available.

Thanks,

Hi

Kirban still sell the installation book. I just ordered a replacement antenna and the book from him yesterday. My antenna is stuck in the up position. Being a GNX, I am scared of this project myself. Needless to say I am watching this thread as well.

sometimes you can unscrew the top nut and pull old mast/nylon gear out,if you can,and get all old nylon gear out,you can feed a new mast in while turning off radio/ign,reinstall top nut and thats it.getting a new old mast is the challenge though.if your motor runs contantly,the motor is good,and mast/ nylon gear is broken.check local stereo shops (specality shops,not best buy,etc) and see if they can get aftermarket replacement mast/gear....company called METRA (they make dash kits,etc)should still make them

The motor runs, so I sure 99% its just that nylon cable inside. I've got the replacement cable in-hand.

I removed the 5 bolts on the fender by the door and 1 in the wheel well. I was able to pull the fender open "a little", but just not enough. Of course, I removed the flare first.

I thought about removing the vent, but stopped to consult here first. I'm going to play it safe and get the Kirban book. If it has the correct procedure its well worth the $10.

Anyone have the Kirban antenna book? Can anyone comment on its usefullness? Anyone got a scan of that section I can pre-read?

I've done this on GN's already, but this is the first GNX. Who would have guessed that the fender construction was special too. Is the reason the vent or the flare?

I'll update as things progress.

The reason that the inner fender construction is different is to allow room for the larger wheels.

That link looks like just for the screwed on tip of the top mast section.

I've never heard of replacing a broken cable through the top of the fender. Anyone got a step-by-step?

Kirban book will be here next week.

youre right after a closer look,its just the tip.search the site for mast.also ive replaced hundreds of masts from top of fender.(ive only been doing mobile electronics for twenty years ;) )

Kirban said that you can take the top nut off, attach a snaking wire to it, pull the wire towards the Battery area(Battery is removed) and pull out the antenna through the big hole by the Battery. He said this at his Opened House. Pet Serio showed him the way.

The antenna mast has to be replaced with the unit outside if the car. It is not geared as the older GM masts were. The cord hooks onto the drive with a 90 degree bend. It is essentially locked into place. You have to drill the rivets out and separate the antenna body.
After my first,and last experience with this, I opted to buy the Kirban antenna which is a perferct and complete repro of the original and well worth the money. I replaced the antenna in my GNX through the bottom just as I have on the several T's and Nationals that have required the surgery. I was unaware that ther was a separate method for the X. In this case apparently ignorance was bliss. :)
My current project has a fixed mast and I love it. I think any future antenna woes are going to earn the T or National a fixed mast conversion.

bilt2run,

When you did the X, do you remember what you removed to get the antenna out the bottom?

With the flare off, 5 door edge 10mm bolts, and 1 wheel well 10mm bolt out, I could get about 1" of opening at the bottom of the fender. I didn't want to pull too hard on the fender.

Got the Kirban book today. Their way is to drill out the rivets along the fender. Big OUCH!

Bilt2run, I'll try your way first.

Miked, any more details on the battery hole way?

Will be back on the GNX next week.

How Did It Go?

Boostmeister-
How did the repair go? About 10 years ago mine went and the mechanic pulled the fender to replace it (forget what it cost but it wasn't inexpensive). Since that time I am hesitant to use the radio for fear it will go again. I was at Kirban's open house when he mentioned that it could be removed by taking out the battery and snaking it to the hole at the inner fender. If it worked or you tried another method that worked, please let us know because no matter how well the mast is lubed, it will probably go.
Thanks

I was able to replace my Antenna cable this afternoon on my GNX and it is really not that hard if you take your time and THINK before you do anything! I have done 2 others on regular GN’s and it is always a little scary pulling that fender back to get enough room for the antenna to drop through!

Here is a step by step guide that you can follow:

1) Remove the Passenger front tire

2) Remove the fender flare by removing the Philips screws on the under side of it.

3) Use 3M painters tape and mask the area that you will be working in. On the fender side I used about 1 ½ - 2 inches of the tape from the top of the fender down to the bottom rolling it around where the door would meet it. On the door side I did 4 inches from where the fender meets the door back towards the back of the door.

4) Take out a 10MM socket and ¼ inch ratchet along with a ratcheting swivel 10MM wrench. (The wrench is very helpful for the bottom bolt near the door)

5) Remove the 2 bolts on the inside of the wheel well and open the passenger door all of the way to reveal the bolts on the fender remove all but the very top one. (Note the bolt with the lock washer is the antenna mounting bolt I found it helpful to keep this just loose without removing it all of the way until I was ready to drop the antenna out this will come in handy on step 8)

6) Before you start pulling the fender away take notice to a few things: On the inside assembly there are rivets that attach the fender to the inner fender and also there is very thick/tar/undercoating that may cover some of the rivets or create a seam between the inner fender and fender. I found a 1” area where there was a glob of the tar stuff and was able to peel it all out with a flat head screw driver.

I also chose to drill out 2 of the rivets to ease the pressure of the fender being pulled out.
- The one rivet on the inside of the wheel well (You will need to put your head inside the wheel well to see it as it faces the inside of the body)

- The other rivet on the lip of the wheel well closest to the inside of the car. (You will see two side by side and most likely they will be covered with the tar/undercoating as it is a seam I only drilled out the one closest to the inside of the car)

7) Unscrew the antenna nut on the top of the fender

8) If you have a friend join you for this step it would be ideal. While you GENTLY pull the fender out have a friend UNDER the fender who can reach up to grab the whole assembly to help get it out. (Make sure your friend is not afraid to get dirty as there is usually a lot of dirt/crap falling down). I found it helpful to start pulling from the bottom and the more you could get it out move your hands up further to brace it on both sides. DO NOT YANK ON IT…You WILL BEND IT! Once you feel that you are comfortable with the amount of space you can create by pulling the fender back take out the bolt with the lock washer on it allowing the antenna to drop. If you are unable to get the fender out that far take a couple steps backwards and inspect for any tar/undercoating that may be creating a seal between the fender and inner fender.

It took me about 3 hours to get all of this done. Most of the time was taken up because I really wanted to avoid drilling out the rivets but gave up after feeling the pressure on the fender.. I am sure that it can be done with leaving them in but I did not want to risk bending the fender. Even with them removed it was very tight getting the assembly out. Once you have it removed follow normal procedures for replacing the mast or replacing the entire assembly that can be found on GNTTYPE.org.

I'm planning to do the job on Thursday. I'll try the battery way first, but I'll have the drill and pop rivet gun ready for the worst case.

GNX243, use the radio. Nylon is gonna get old and break whether you use it or not, so might as well enjoy.

I'll post what method I used.

I since talked to another GNX owner who told me all he did was remove the fender louvre, inner louvre duct, and fish the antenna out through the opening. I would definitely try that first because drilling out the rivets and risking creasing the fender is no fun.

Hope this helps,
-john

Hello everyone. gnx405 is correct with this procedure.

I removed the fender vent and all associated hardware (not that easy) and fished the inner vent duct as well as the antenna out the battery hole. After removing the inner and outer vents I pushed the antenna as far down in the mast as I could. It was still up around 3 inches. it is tight if the mast is not all the way down. You can also cut off the smallest section of the antenna because it is part of the new GM cable/ribbon. Then I removed the 10mm bolt in the door jamb and connected a string to the wiring, so I could fish the wires back where they belong, and pulled it out through the battery hole. Through the fender vent hole I also removed the bracket that attached the antenna to the fender, so it wouldn't hang up on anything. On a GNX this process is helped by the fact that there is a hole in the fender to work through.

Also, use a 7mm socket to remove the tip on the antenna while holding the smallest portion of the mast with vice grips.

This is a lot easier than removing the fender and dropping it out the bottom. I did that process on my 84 and this is a lot less likely to damage anything.

I hope this helps someone.