Transmission shift points too high!!!

Mr URL

DirectScan files...

http://midwestracing.hostin.com/downloads/
http://midwestracing.hostin.com/downloads/ttype.zip

(*&($*&%(W*&% transmissions!!!!!! How in the h*ll do I get these transmissions to shift where they need to be when I put some power to them???????? These where made with 22-23 psi boost in my T-Type. Freakin shifts are way too high!!!! :-( I HATE transmissions! Never get one that shifts right when I turn up the wick on either of my cars!!!! Did the same thing on 2 different transmissions. Do you need to change the govenor or something on a mid 11 sec and faster car?

Thanks,

Anybody??? The original trans I had in there started doing the same thing once I started turning up the wick. Put in a fresh one and it's doing the same thing??? Does increased hp relate to raised shift points in these transmissions??

I put Dextron III in there this time instead of Type F. Would that make any difference with this problem?

OK...how about this...

Car is shifting 1-2 at 6,000-6,100 rpm WOT in Drive or OD when I turn the boost up. Good shift but late. Car has PT&E ported/polished heads, 206/206 Weber cam, and stock bottom end. Is the high rpm too much for the combo and should I worry about the rpm being too much for a stock bottom end? Is there anything I can try to lower the shift points? I've tried TV cable adjustments with no luck. Haven't tried turning down the boost yet to see if power has anything to do with it.

Bruce, where are you??? :)

Mr. URL,
Hit the nail on the head when you said governor. Make sure you did not put the spring on the wrong end of the governor. Very common mistake if your in a hurry! Drop the pan pull the governor and make sure the spring is on the right way. HTH

Mike Banas
87GN

More info... both trans have B&M transpak installed. Is it possible the convertor is being over powered at higher boost levels raising the 1-2 shift?

I can see that happening since shift WOT points are actually a function of road speed rather than input rpm. As an experiment to test your theory, turn your boost down to 14 psi or so and see what happens.

Aint no way you are making good HP at 6100 with that cam. I'm pulling VE #'s at 5800 with a 218/212 Hydrolic roller. I'm no expert on governers, I had the same issues you did with my street car. I shift manually with the race car(end to that problem). E-mail Jeff Harrington, he'll help you out.

Ted

Did you check the governor spring yet? Situation I had was the same exact thing though mine would shift under normal driving at 5500 rpm from 1-2 and or 6200 at WOT. How does it shift under normal driving? Doubt its the convertor unless your flash stall is 6K rpms or your detent cable is not installed right. Not sure about the B&M transpack as I only installed the No YO YO, Art Carr and Bruce T's shift kits.

Mike Banas
87GN

Ok, I did a little more testing tonight. Here's what I found...

I readjusted the TV cable according to factory spec. 2 notches or so exposed. Shifts are nice and works properly driving around. I don't think that's it. I turned down the boost level to 15 psi. 1-2 shift is at 5,750 and 2-3 shift is at 5,200 rpm. With boost turned up to 23 psi 1-2 shift is at 6,175 and 2-3 shift is at 5,450. Same results whether it's in 2nd, D, or OD. When this tranny was in my GN with a GM remain D5 before being rebuilt it had 1-2 shift at 5,825 and 2-3 shift at 5,125 at 23 psi boost.

Flash stall on this convertor from dead idle seems to be around 2,800 rpm before mph starts to read.

I need to get these shifts down between 5,100-5,600 max. Would a govenor change fix this? Anybody out there have one of those fancy machines that simulates shift points with govenors? I really don't want to be messing with this all summer.

lololol I am right here... I didnt hear my phone ring....

To be honest... I wasnt paying attention. I have had alot of that lately LOLOL Senior moments I guess... You KNOW how to find me...

Bet I could come close ;)

I can name that govenor in three notes......ROFL

There you are!! LOL! :D

Anybody hear about a govenor spring kit? You change the springs in the govenor to adjust WOT shift points? Is this a good method and where can you get the kits?

Bruce, you saying you could make a good guess at a govenor that would lower the shifts into the right range?? :) If you did and it worked you would be my HERO!!

Chad,

Have you pinned the governor spring with a set screw? That will automatically add weight to the governor weight(s) and lower shift RPM. You could also add some weight with a MIG welder. Put the weight on a scale and measure the weight(s) before you start. That way you can always get back to your starting point if you need to.

Dave

That's a good idea Dave. I did that due to slinging springs out repeatedly when I first got the car. But I had to take weight off to compensate for the set screw and a little more since my shift was low. It's a test/drill/reinstall/test routine that will get you very familiar with the lovely scent of trans fluid. I can't recall exactly but the set screw was somewhere around 6 grams. That alone would drop Chad's shift points at least 500, maybe more IMO. My small weight is swiss cheesed to the point where I'm not comfortable taking more out if my last drilling session doesn't net me a 5100 WOT shift (I'm at 4800-4900 right now and I know it's costing me MPH).

I know the tranny I had Bruce build for me shifts at 5000-5100 time after time at WFO for what its worth and that's pushing well over 650 HP through it. I also know it is no problem shifting manual @ 7200. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What a stout tranny:cool:

Yea but...

Yea, but for how long?....:D ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

I was wonderin where you been. Haven't heard much from you Rick. Things are going well, eh?

Bruce

LOL

Oh and rememeber the "new" warranty clause.....

"No warranty over 7000 rpm."

Hehehe....implemented today;)

:D
Bruce

Things are going great, isn''t it nice not hearing from your customers sometimes??? Had the car off the road for the winter and decided to repaint the whole thing just cause one night I was looking at it and thought, damn, I am bored with the stock color. Out came the DA and just got it all done a few weeks back. Did a very slight Chamelion color, Gold to Magenta. Looks awesome but was a huge job. Been out a few times now beating up on rustangs and such.

But back to the topic of trannies, just to let you know while doing the repaint I finally installed your tranny cooler you included with the tranny and also upgraded to a Be Cool radiator with an internal tranny cooler as well. It is plumbed to the rad first then through the cooler. Last weekend we had 99 degrees and 90% humidity. I did runs a few runs up to and over 150 MPH and draged a few folks and the tranny temps maintained 160 - 170 at most. Tstat is a 180 and water temps stayed at 179.9 (as reported through the FAST fuel injection computer). Prior to this running a brand X cooler (which I flushed prior to installing your trans) and stock rad I always ran 190. I know it would have exceeded 200 under similar conditions. Which was a bit too hot for my comfort. Running these cooler temps I sense the tranny shifts a bit later on part throttle shift points and quite a bit firmer. Hard to really say though as I really did not run the car a whole lot last year with the new tranny as winter was fast approaching. Time does tend to distort things. Anyway, thought you would appreciate the news on the cooling.

One intesting thing though I noticed today, I was cruising through town hitting a bunch of red lights. Under very light throttle the car shifts to second but seems none to interested in shifting into third. It seems to hold second unless you accelerate some. Well accelerating lightly in my car in a town with tons of cops gets you a ticket real quick as lightly puts me at 50 or so real quick. Just a quirk of the tranny ya thing combined with the motor? Basically this is just off idle acceleration when it seems to hang in second, throttle is barely cracked.

Originally posted by RickWI
One intesting thing though I noticed today, I was cruising through town hitting a bunch of red lights. Under very light throttle the car shifts to second but seems none to interested in shifting into third. It seems to hold second unless you accelerate some.... Basically this is just off idle acceleration when it seems to hang in second, throttle is barely cracked.
I have the same situation with mine (CZF not Bruce's done by myself but followed his formula) I found that leaving the TV cable adjusted for max tv I get the same results you do, but if I take 2 clicks out of the cable I get 1-2-3 shifts at 10mph, 20mph and 30mph respectively w/light throttle. So when I want WOT shifts I leave adjusted to max tv and for cruz'ing around town I pull it out 2 clicks, works for me, maybe Bruce can elaborate on if this would be normal and also work for you, as I know how it is to run thru town having to shift into 3rd at 2500-3000 can lead to trouble.

Thanks HOTTOGO, I guess I would have to say I have the TV at max for sure as well. It sounds like the exact same result with the exact same adjustment situation.

I feel like cop bait.

I like this...

I like the fact that more and more of you are learning. Mark, "you sure you dont need a job?"
Good advice he gave Rick. Why not try and report back?
Cop bait..... yes, yes, you are.LOLOLOL:D

Bruce