Translator + - Thrasher problem?

Warped

No helmet required!
At the track last night the car was running fine with my Conley chip so I decided to try my Thrasher 92. Jacked the fuel pressure to 45 and made a run. Half way through 1st gear the car stopped pulling like I'd thrown the anchor out. Checked the direct scan and it show over 40* timing but no knock. Then I remembered the Thrasher never did show those numbers correctly on DS, so I'm not sure what the numbers really were. Thank God it didn't blow. Put the Conley back in and it ran fine again. If there was a warning about the Thrasher and Translator plus, I missed it. By the way, if you are curious about the Conley Mini Mag chip, on two different GN's it has run the same as the Red's 93.

The Thrasher is designed to work with a standard 255 MAF only. DO NOT use it with a Translator and/or extender.

If it stopped pulling in 1st gear, what did it do in 2nd or 3rd? or did you just get out of it?

What RPM did first gear go to and did it shift cleanly to second?

It's pretty hard to blow a car up with a T92, but the quick spool feature can overboost in 1st gear pretty easily. With no knock on DS, I can't see how an overboost would translate into stop pulling unless you have a marginal ignition system (coil pack, module, spark plug wires)

If you try the chip again, watch the boost gage closely. A thrasher commands the boost solenoid to wide open when a it thinks a launch is coming up. When the solenoid goes back to closing and or cycling at the top of 1st, it may be dumping too much boost. In an extreme situation, you may be spool to 18 psi right after launch but drop to 13 psi by the top of 1st (less than 2 seconds later)

I've used thrashers and a Translator for 2 years+ and have never had any tuning problems.

I hope there are not any problems. I am going to be running a Thrasher 100 and a 108 with a Translator (standard, not +) this weekend:eek:

ungn

UNGN,

Are you running the translator +? My theory is it's the spark hookup. I thought of trying it with the spark connection by-passed but that kind of defeats the purpose. Would be an interesting test though.

Boost was not the problem as I run an external system.

Re: ungn

Originally posted by Warped
UNGN,

Are you running the translator +? My theory is it's the spark hookup. I thought of trying it with the spark connection by-passed but that kind of defeats the purpose. Would be an interesting test though.

Boost was not the problem as I run an external system.

I just run a regular translator with a screenless LT1 sensor. I could not see the value of the + without the extender chip. You may want to upgrade to one of those. Everyone seems to love them that uses one.