Trans won't shift under WOT

darkred87T

I have a new transmission and and it won't shift from a dig under WOT. It just seems to keep winding up in first until I let off. It seems to work fine otherwise like when It kicks down from 2nd to first or even 3rd to first it will shift. Like I stated, it won't shift from a stop when I floor it and keep it floored. I messed around with the TV cable quite bit and it seems to make no difference. Anyhow, I thought I would get some opinions before I called the trans guy.
Thanks

Double check your initial setting for the TV cable. It's easy to screww up. I seen on guy even do the opposite setting!

Did you put a different convertor in too? When I loosened up my convertor, under hard high boost runs the car would bounce off the revlimiter, raised the revlimiter in the chip and problem went away, something to look at at least...

DJ

I once had a similar issue and it turned out to be the 1st gear clutch band had the pin on it sheared off. Paul

paul vilser said:
I once had a similar issue and it turned out to be the 1st gear clutch band had the pin on it sheared off. Paul
Did it shift at all out of 1st when that happened? Mine still shifts, just not under WOT.

Also, theere really isn't much room to adjust the TV cable wihtout it restricting the throttle. I know that they are self adjusting but I can't seem to get it to adjust on it's own. There's still more rrom to bring it forward though, maybe I'll try that today.

Moving it forward will just soften the shifts, or possibly make the issue worse.
What servo is in the trans?

When the trans wouldn't upshift on one of the family GNs, it was the governor that caused the problem. The governor is calibrated for stock torque levels, when you make more power, the trans doesn't like to upshift.

Check out the rebuilt governor on this site:

http://www.ptsnctb.com/

Yes, you need to adj tv cable forward a click at a time. Dont go anymore than 3 or so because tv (Throttle Valve) is what controls everything and you dontwant to reduce fluid pressure and smoke some clutches . Timing, pressures & shift quality IS adj by a few clicks of the cable. Yes , the gov is what makes the shifts occur. Its possible they put in a gov from a diff trans with too loose springs/weights. Even if tv was set to max, you would still have a 1-2 shift at wot, too hi, yes, but still would shift.

Another suggestion: If you are running a stock trans pickup/filter you need to overfill it by 1 quart. You could be uncovering the pickup at WOT and therefore it can't get line pressure and shift to the next gear.

Thanks, I did overfill it by one quart. It might actually shift at some point, but by that time, I'm sure the motor will be in peices, lol. I tried waiting it out under WOT a couple of times but find myself letting off in fear of blowing the engine.

This may not be the case but double check any way. I had a similar problem with a customers car, in full throttle car will not shift, it was just hanging in the same gear, the car wasn't getting enough fuel. It was a clogged fuel filter.

HTH
PRASAD

The trans' main shifting input is from the governor. I would not consider the engine's torque output to be so important. Did you adj tv cable forward alittle?

Please set TV cable so you see four (4) notches in cable housing twds firewall. If probs persist, then either you have a broken/dislodged governor spring--or you lost/threw a governor weight (or = too light of gov'r weights).

prolly isnt it but - my car wouldnt shift when i hada wiped cam lobe. Guess engine wasnt making enough power or vaccuum.

I let the TV cable out towards the front of the car last night and no difference. It's now four nothes towards the fire wall which I think is where it should be.

BigTurbo6 said:
prolly isnt it but - my car wouldnt shift when i hada wiped cam lobe. Guess engine wasnt making enough power or vaccuum.
Idon't think these tranmissions have a vacume module. :confused: Is that what you meant or just from overall lack of power? The car seems to be making plenty of power under WOT. I even brake boost it before my launches and it throws me into the seat.