trans won't shift at WOT

L

larryc

Hey guys,
I got a serious problem with my 200 trans in my t-type that I can't solve and I need some solid advice. This trans has less than 400 miles since Kent Rudbeck Rebuilt it. I know he does a good job on them and I am totally satisfied except it will not shift at wide open throttle about 90% of the time. The 10% of the time it will shift is when the trans is not real hot. I tried the tv cable adjustment and changed fluid and filter and checked to make sure the spring is still in the gov. as stated in prev. posts. When it does shift, its at 6100 rpm or it will bounce off the rev limiter then it will shift sometimes. I tried leaving it in second gear and manually shifting it and that does not work either. I talked to kent at Bristol and he said to look at the pump spring. When I changed the fluid there was some metal in the bottom of the pan but I thought it normal. PLEASE HELP

Thanks,
Lawrence

Add a gram of weight to secondary side weight on govenor. Measure how much it knocks it down (rpm) . Then from there add weight to get where you want to be. I would also call and ask if they screwed with tv limit valve and/or spring. If they did your on a snipe hunt and will never cure it. Just ask them and hope the answer is no. Then you can try the weight.

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

HOW DO I ADD MORE WEIGHT? WHEN I LEAVE IT IN OVERDRIVE IT SHIFTS AT 4200 RPM. JUST WANT TO GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO I CAN. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Hey Larry, let me tell you about the experience I once had with a brand new B&M 700R4 that I installed in my Monte Carlo SS. The first time I road tested my new ZZ4 engine and trans, it wouldn't shift out of first, at WOT. So, I played with about 5 different governors over a perion of many many months. Never could get it right! Finally, a tech rep named Bruce at Trans-Go said it sounded like I could have a bad pump. So. I got myself a set of Transmission test gauges from the Mac Tool man. Took all the readings like in the Chevy Manual, called Bruce again and he said; Yep, you've got a bad pump! Short story, I installed a rebuilt pump and that cured my WOT shift problems. Save yourself a lot of headaches and get a pressure test on your tranny before you go any further! The test results will tell you an awful lot. :cool: