trans won't engage after ck shift kit install

dave34

Just installed a ck 200r4 shift kit and now no gears will engage. Shifter goes thru all gears fine sitting still but no engagement. I can hear the manual lever on the paw moving . Trans was fine before I started . I removed trans pan and noticed pump pressure valve assembly was stuck..no spring movement at all. Took out and put old 5 peace kit back in ..plenty of spring tention...felt good. Same problem. I don't think pump is giving any line pressure . Fluid stays cold after warm up. Fluid level is good. Let car warm up for 40 mins and worked shifter thru all gears several times. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
When you don't have the engine running check fluid level, start engine, check fluid level. Should drop significantly as the pump picks it up when running. Do you have a gauge to hook up to the trans to gauge pressure?
Did you hook the s piece back to the slide in the vb? Did you hook it up backward?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

^^^x2..... The lever is connected to the linkage so you will hear it moving... If the "s" piece isn't connected or backwards that's your problem.....

Hi all, got a chance to drop pan. Had a buddy go through gears as I watched manual valve movement...worked fine and also accelerator worked TV plunger fine. Oil level didn't change much with car off or once turned over. I can't imagine I did anything to pump since car never came off lift and never engaged into any gear. Trans was fine before I started and now I only have park. Also filter was removed and cleaned and checked o ring again. All good. Very frustrated. Could problem with engagement be in valve body since the kit has several mods for it. Also can manual valve still move if hooked up backwards because its moving well. Doesnt the hole in the manual valve point towards driver side and thats where i hooked s piece.I see no other way possible to hook it to s piece. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Last edited:
When you removed the filter did you dig the seal out of the trans? Sounds like you aren't "sucking" any fluid into the pump if you aren't seeing the level drop when you start the engine.
Pull that filter down and look up in the cavity to make sure you didn't leave the original seal in there. Actually 2 orings are better than the ribbed rubber thing that comes with the filter. A good part store should have an oring assortment to get a pair that fits the filter neck.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yep...has 1 o ring . I have the pts deep sump hook up. Its got the copper tube with 1 valve body screw that holds in place. Its connected to a old style th200 filter . I replaced with same style.

OK. I'll put it back together and ckeck but i don't think there is any ...i have no drive , reverse ....nothing. Can the issue be VB related or is that not possible with these symptoms? Btw thanks for replying guys.also can someone explain in detail how I can hook manual valve up backwards?

OK. I'll put it back together and ckeck but i don't think there is any ...i have no drive , reverse ....nothing. Can the issue be VB related or is that not possible with these symptoms? Btw thanks for replying guys.also can someone explain in detail how I can hook manual valve up backwards?
It's possible the pressure regulator assembly was installed in the wrong order and saw tremendous pressure that would break the pump rings or rotor. The "S" linkage rod can not be installed wrong. Just the manual valve in the wrong location when the vb bolted down. If it is the gear selector will only move a couple clicks and it will be very obvious. If you are able to move the selector in P, R, N, OD, D, 2, 1 then the manual valve was in the correct position when the vb bolted down

BPE2013@hotmail.com