Trans fluid preferences

russ87gn

I'm putting my transmission back in I just got it freshened up and a new ptc 9.5 converter what do you guys like for trans fluid the builder told me to use b and m trick shift It's almost all street driving with a few passes a year

I would go with what your builder recommends. Having said that many here including myself use and like Dex VI but you're likely to get all kinds of different answers.

Valvoline Dex 6. But I use what my builder told me as he will be the one that has to fix it under warranty if need be

I was told by someone who asked my builder for me, to use B&M Quick Shift for a TH400.

Any suggestions on how often it should be changed for street use and a trip or 2 to the track a year?

I've used the autozone/advanced auto no name brand in my 8 second street car and see absolutely no difference. I recently made the switch to Hygard Low visc and saw no difference. About the only fluid I didn't like was Type F and it seems to burn and discolor easy and not take any abuse.
But with all that being said I would do whatever the shop recomends that is warrantying the work.
AG.

I use dex6 in 2 of my cars, and B&M in the 3rd one. all 2004r's tho.

Regular Dex III with 1 gallon of Multitrac hyd fluid works great for me..... Cheaper than most all high dollar synth. fluids

I use Valvoline Dex 6. More important than what fluid you use is watching your transmission fluid temperature. I go 50000 miles max between fluid changes on my daily drivers. I would ask your builder for recommendations on fluid change intervals. I always break something and end up rebuilding my GN transmission before I get too many miles on it. DOH! Seriously though, keep an eye on your fluid temp and it will last a long time.

Many tranny builders have no clue about the "best" oil to use unless they have experience and feedback from customers who have performance builds?

The GN builders like Lonnie, Vince and Dave suggest the best like Dex VI or B&M.

The factory warranty on many new cars and trucks is 100K miles and require fluid like DEX VI or their equivalent, and Type F, tractor fluid, or old Dex III in not acceptable for long life as the extra heat from performance use will quickly kill the fluid if it is not the newer blends.

The last time a customer used Type F in a 9 sec. build years ago resulted in the fluid burned in the first trip to the track. After changing to DEX VI, the fluid was good for an entire season of racing and still looked good!