Trans Filter?

79TurboCutlass

Corn Eater
Do local parts stores(AutoZone, Advance etc) sell suitable trans filters for the 200 in a racing application? If so what do I ask for? Years ago all they had for a TH350 was a Fram high restriction lint ball looking filter- not the high flow screen filter that comes with shift kits. TIA.

My local O'Reilly didn't have any filters for the 200. The guy at Pep Boys handed me a filter for a FWD 3.8 (He even commented on the GN being a cool car so he "knew" what I was after. I pointed at the screen where it had the FWD transmission code and he assured me it was right. I walked away from the parts counter and left the filter on a shelf on the way out of the store.) Autozone finally came through, but they only had one (off) brand option.
I would imagine most filters are sufficent for most performance needs. I plan on just changing mine frequently. Filter box said change every 10k mi. I was just glad to find the damn filter.

It seems that these local parts stores are in buisiness to sell cashews and steering wheel covers more than real car parts.:mad:

Don't forget about their huge selection of miracles in a bottle.

I had them check my alternator on the car the other day at Autozone. The guy was excited to see the GN. He asked, "is this your turbo?" and grabbed the downpipe :eek:. The motor had been running for about 20 mins! He didn't keep his hand there long:biggrin:

I was still surprised at how hard it was to get that (crappy) transmission filter. Glad I have two cars.

The O'Reilly here in Beaumont, TX sold a good Wix tranny filter but it had to be ordered - worth the 2-day wait.

You can get the good ones at Autozone the box I saw doesn't have a brand name but it has part # TF400 on the box. It has the good nylon looking screen and is made in USA, kind of a crappy looking cork gasket though. HTH

Also FWIW the local Advanced Auto parts store had the crappy looking lint ball filter and said thats all they could get.