Trans cable problems

blown okie

Chuck Norris Approved
Ive got the engine/ trans back in the buick and am getting everything in its place and hooked up. when hooking the shifter cable back up to the trans, i notice the cable seems to make an abrupt turn out of the trans tunnel. this isnt a good thing, and dont remember it being that way when i took the car apart oh so long ago. anyways i know thats not a good thing for the shifter cable to do so to see if it was a problem i run the shifter lever through the gears several different times and ways, and the shifter feels like crap. it feels klunky, and has no real defenition to was gear its in. i know for a fact it operated smoother than this before i took it apart. i dont believe ive hooked anything up wrong, any suggestions. will a b&m or hurst shifter cable work in place of the stock cable, it could be wound around the top of the trans instead of making an abupt turn out of the tunnel.i would like to keep the stock shifter in the car. any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.Thanks