Tranny won't shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. Please help!

2kSSLS1

I hadnt raced the car since May which was 7 months ago and took it out to the track this past Friday. Anyhow, on my 2nd pass, I manually shifted it since it doesnt wanna shift on time. (keep hitting rev limiter) Anyhow, after I made my run, slowed down, and began to give it gas to turn around and head for the booth, the car wouldnt shift into 2nd or 3rd. I tried manually shifting it from 1st to 2nd, but no luck. I kept on and on trying to see if I could manually shift it and nothing. Does anyone have any idea what it is? What can I look for to see whats wrong with it? If there are some run down things to look for, Id be more than happy to look. I really need to get this tranny fixed. I spent lots of money on it to have it built and I hardly drive it. The tranny is practically new. There is hardly any use on it. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Sounds exactly like my problem. I believe its the governor spring. I have yet to fix mine, but from searching I found out thats probably what it is. Im sure someone will chime in to prove me wrong, since im a noob.

Don-

governor spring or a throttle valve or tv upshift valve is stuck in the upshifted position.remove pan and inspect.

If it was stuck in the upshift position, wouldnt it be in a numerically higher gear? Also, how does either of them get stuck? Ive never had this problem and dont know why, the tranny is so new. I personally dont know what Im looking for, so as much info is more helpful to me. Thanks.

I gave my tranny builder (Mike Kurtz) a call and he said more than likely the spring on the smaller weight of the governor may have popped off and now needs more rpms for it to shift. He said that would also cause it to shift late. But it doesnt want to shift into any gear not even if I manually do it. I havent looked at it yet, but hopefully its not anything serious. But then as I think about it, if it needed more rpms for it to shift, I brought the rpms up to 3000 rpms or so and held it there, but it never shifted.

If it's the gov. spring it prob. won't shift till higher than that. More like 4-4500.

Jim