Tranny shot again after 600 miles on HD rebuild!

CutterTurboT

BOOST
Well I had my tranny built by a local guy that has done good jobs on my other cars trannys....I got the HD rebuild kit from CPT and the alto red clutches, alto red bands, and everything else CPT said I needed. I got my 3000 N/L cpt stall sent back cleaned and up to a 3500 stall for my new Ta64. After waiting 4 months for the guy to rebuild it I finnaly got it back....I noticed it shifted at WOT at 5600-5700 in each gear....with my old tranny it shifted at 5100. My TV cable is set right and its not shifting to early or anything at part thottle. well I get 600 miles on it and make two passes at the track and it hits the 6k rev limit in each gear....after I ran I checked the fluid and it smelled burnt and now the car will barley make the 1-2 shift at light throttle and slips like crazy and won't shift if I give it any more throttle in the 1-2 shift. Well needless to say I'm pissed and I have about $1000 in parts and labor for a tranny that lasted 600 miles! What do you guys think went wrong? I do have a big tranny cooler too. I'm talking to my tranny man and see what he says tomorrow.

????

Did he build the pump? Did you check line pressure? Morkai built his own and had the same prob. It worked good for a few hundred miles and started acting up. Pulled it and freshened it,checked all clearances then checked line pressure,good at idle and dropping under throttle. Pulled pump and replaced with one out of an Art Carr tranny and line pressure is back.

Just talked to Art Carr himself....Turns out one of the guys at CPT sent the wrong converter that is why it was shifting so much higher. He said it sounds like the tranny got to hot and the bands are burnt...prolly do to the more heat with the higher stall. Art recomends me getting an even larger cooler than what I have. Art told me to send the converter back and he will send the right one for my mods and he is taking care of the price! So it looks like my tranny is coming out again and getting new bands, whatever else is burnt, a new stall, and tranny cooler. Props the CPT and there customer service! Great company to do business with!

great

Thats good customer service! Keep on and I'll have mine together yet!

???

Since PM's are down.....Whats up with the tranny? Thought you might have fell off the face of the earth or something! :)

Which Art Carr did you talk to, Texas or Cali?

How does a torque converter effect shift points?
Line pressure would make sense as to why its going up to 6k but I am not sure why the converter would be the cause?

?

CPT,the real Art Carr. I know it was driving over the conv-rpm's dropping only 100 or 200 on gear changes. The bouncing off the rev limit happened after he turned the boost over 20 at the 1/4 mile track.

i think the low rpm drop was more do to the trans slipping. then the converter stall being to high. there are a few things you must do to a tr trans to make them live. haveing good parts it a great start but if you dont adderss shifting issues that these transmissions have as well as internal leaking. you can burn up the best parts in just a few w o t passes. im not saying your trans builder cant do his job. but sometimes on higher hp power cars you need a builder that knows turbo regals. it takes a few mods in the 2004r to live behind 400 to 800 hp. that you really dont need on most other cars. call me if you need some help. i would be happy to talk to your builder. and see if i can give him a few pointer. not saying im better then him. just know the tr transmission. Len. 702 434 2991

LV GN said:
i think the low rpm drop was more do to the trans slipping. then the converter stall being to high. there are a few things you must do to a tr trans to make them live. haveing good parts it a great start but if you dont adderss shifting issues that these transmissions have as well as internal leaking. you can burn up the best parts in just a few w o t passes. im not saying your trans builder cant do his job. but sometimes on higher hp power cars you need a builder that knows turbo regals. it takes a few mods in the 2004r to live behind 400 to 800 hp. that you really dont need on most other cars. call me if you need some help. i would be happy to talk to your builder. and see if i can give him a few pointer. not saying im better then him. just know the tr transmission. Len. 702 434 2991
so what are some of the mods for a high hp tranny to live?