Tranny shifts to O.D. to soon?

snistrgn

Took the car to the local 1/8 mile track this weekend and I had to shift out of D into O.D. about 20-25 yards before I hit the end. Is this normal? Iv'e heard guys complaining about having to shift into O.D. before the end of the 1/4 mile so I thought this was way early! My trap speed is about 80 mph (sadly) and I think this is part of my problem. I'm assuming the car has the stock 3.42's but It's very possible they have been changed. Thanks in advance.

Shifting into OD at 80 mph isn't normal. You do need to verify what your rear gear is and that your TV cable is properly adjusted. Are your other shift points normal? Is the transmission the original? Improper calibration may also cause problems.

Had to shift ?? Did you red line in 3rd in an 8th mile. No ... Then Did tranny shift it self into OD ? If so, what happens if you leave shifter in Drive , Not OD. So many unknowns here.
I see you show TrippleAmuffler in your post. Is that in Garland Tex. on Broadway ?

If I hold the tranny in D the motor redlines and I have no other choice but to shift to O.D. As far as I know the tranny is the original and I was told the gears are 3.42's but I really doubt that at this point. G.McCall, I work for my Dad at the Triple A in Mesquite on Main St. I've heard alot about you from your buddy The Darkside (WE4) He comes by on a regular basis cause his son works at the Jiffy lube next door. You should come by some time with your car, I'd like meet you

Sounds like either your tranny is going south or your tach is wrong if you have to shift into overdrive at 80 mph. I've also heard of loose converters ( had um) but not that loose. In Drive the Stock tranny setup 26" tall tires, and 3:42 rear gears should get you to 113 + - at 5000 locked up. If your convertors not locked maybe 5250 + - ? Many variables here.
I will get the ole car out and come by sometime. Putin a Zaino on her this week.