Tranny pan bolts - "ft/lbs"

mystic664

I just bought a car that has a Brain Hofer tranny and I dont think the pan bolts are tight, Does anybody know the correct ft/lbs they should be and are his trannys good? Thanks Eric

I just bought a car that has a Brain Hofer tranny and I dont think the pan bolts are tight, Does anybody know the correct ft/lbs they should be and are his trannys good? Thanks Eric

10ft/lbs or 120in/lbs on pan bolt torque. I feel that you bought an excellent transmission, with even better customer service!!!!:cool:

I just installed one of his trannys last saturday. I double checked all the bolts just to make sure...they were all tight--not saying that yours aren't loose, but you don't want to over torque those bolts. Best advice I received is to use a small 1/4 drive ratchet/13mm socket and only tighten as much as your wrist can give when holding the ratched by the pivot point: i.e. don't use a 12" 3/8 drive and crank it down while holding the long end.

For the sake of info those bolts are M8 with a 1.25 pitch.

I also do the 1/4 drive since the torque is so low on those. :biggrin:

So is 10 ft/lbs to much cause thats what I tightned them to. They just seemed really loose to me and the outer part of the gasket seemed offly wet to me also. Thanks for all the help, Eric

Hell yeah!:biggrin:

I still need to call Brian to let him know first hand...but I've got 300 miles on mine...nice firm shifts. It now barks second at half throttle when it would only bark second under WOT and low ambient air temps with the stock trans.

To the OP: just be sure to follow his break in procedure. I had some weirdness the first 20 miles or so as all the air worked it way out of the trans. After about 20 miles it all seemed to smooth right out.

The front part of my pan always seems to be wet around the gasket and fluid is dripping from my torque convertor cover. Whats the problem?