Tranny or torque converter??

josh rosaaen

Well something went out not sure if it's the tranny or the torque converter. The car seems to be shifting fine if I'm driving at part throttle it seems to go through the gear fine and shift but if I get on it just revs like it's in neutral?

I'd guess converter then. Is it a stock d5 or something more fancy?

Not familiar with that. Sounds like some(many) of the fins aren't doing their job anymore. Does it have a warranty?

With converters it is you getting what you pay. Generally the more expensive the better the unit.

Not familiar with that. Sounds like some(many) of the fins aren't doing their job anymore. Does it have a warranty?

With converters it is you getting what you pay. Generally the more expensive the better the unit.
it was in the car when i got it i was getting some un explained kr right before shift so im thinking it was starting to go out. is there any way to rtest it before i drop the transmission or after i get the transmission out

I'm no guru, but if it is shifting and the fluid looks/smells good, I'd have to lean towards the converter. Plenty of great venders who support our site to get a great converter from.

It's not an easy test to figure out if its trans slip or a broke converter. You could try rolling into it in 2nd gear, then 3rd gear to see if it pulls cleanly to the next gear change or immediately has rpm shooting up. A 3rd gear pull would require a good bit of room so you could roll into it without it kicking down into 2nd. Of course a track is suggested for the test..

Well I got the tranny out what should I look for anyway to test the converter while it's out. Or test the tranny?

There's no way to test them out of the car. The trans would need a load on it to make it slip. You'd have to open them up and check for burnt clutches in the trans or broken pieces in the converter.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i found a used stock tranny and swapped it in with my torque converter and its doing the same thing so im pretty sure its the torque converter and my transmission might be ok. so im going to look for a new torque converter for now.