Tranny guru's, I can't win.. please help

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
I can’t seem to win with this transmission... I figured I could have done this the cheap/hard way, and build a tranny myself but I can’t seem to get anything to go right

at first the car had a bunch of leaks... I think I have fixed all of them, but I don’t know if I have got them all, I will know in the morning, when I look under the car....

Then reverse wasn’t working... so while fixing the pan gasket leak I dropped the valve body (on me) and tried to see if I installed that little rubber piece that goes in the channels for the low reverse assembly incorrectly...

So I look at my old tranny, and it looks like the silver piece is facing up, but I couldn’t pull it out to confirm this.... I looked at the one in my tranny is it looks like it’s in there right... so I don’t know, maybe this is the part I screwed up... does the silver part go up or down for low-reverse??? I put it up...

When i got everything buttoned up, I backed it out of the driveway, and put it out on the street, put it in park, let it idle, checked the fluid, added some... backed it up about 20-30 feet, drove around the block, checked the fluid, added fluid, backed up 20-30 feet, around the block, and this process happened about 4 times or so...

When I thought the car was full on fluid I drove it around, everything seemed pretty good. went about 2 miles, to a local car show, stopped in a parking spot, called some one, got off the phone, put the car in reverse, no reverse.. :mad:

Now, I thought this was kind of odd, but maybe it’s right because I dropped the valve body and what not. But I thought the stock pan only held 6 quarts of fluid? It took 9 quarts… :confused:

Perhaps I am just low on fluid... I will check first thing in the morning. I don’t know what could possibly be wrong, if it’s not the fluid problem.

The tranny has an AA case, CZ valve body, a GN governor, Alto wide band, raybestos clutches, a CK performance shift kit and a 2800 stall converter…

Can you give me any clues on what could possibly be wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated... I just want to get my car running good and strong. Just doesn’t seem like it can happen... Like I said, maybe I shouldn’t try and do this stuff myself, and get a professional to do it...

I don’t know if I left anything out of this, if I did, I will add it once I remember... PLEASE HELP!! I really need help guys…

Thanks again for trying to help…

-Neil

low/rev cup seal

The seal ring on the end of the cup seat is to be driven against
the low/rev housing. If it is damaged or not seated correctly
there could be leakage between the case and the housing. I
used the stem of a Chevy exhaust valve to drive mine in. My 200-4r w/stock pan and stock converter took about 12 qt. to fill.

JUst a thought.(this happened to me) You didnt by chance forget to install the low/reverse apply ring did you? Its that round, slotted ring that goes into the lo/reverse housing and actually applies the clutches. When I first assembled my trans, reverse worked on the jack stands but once on the ground, no reverse!! Also, if you pull the car into manual 1 or 2 and let off the gas do you get engine braking? If so the lo/reverse clutches are working. Cant take credit for knowing this stuff on my own, Chris from CK taught it to me over the phone! Hope this helps and good luck!.

i cant get it into 1st or 2nd, my linkage is scewed up, it dosent stay in gear, even when the car was up in the air, and had no pan on it, i had my dad run it through the gears and it wouldnt go into 1st or 2nd properly. when i get my leak problem sorted out, then i will worry about that linkage problem...

-Neil

Get that linkage fixed. You shouldn't even be driving it if you cant put it in gear correctly. How can it be screwed up? It only goes together one way unless its not the factory shifter or some cobbled up mess. Who cares about oil on the driveway if you're driving around with your trans halfway between neutral and drive?

it goes into P-R-N-OD-D just fine. it is just 1 and 2 that it dosent go into well... there is a way to adjust the shifter linkage, i am just worried about one problem at a time.