Trailer Hitch for '14 Silverado

DavidM

Hey guys,

Purchased my first truck 3 weeks ago, a 2014 Silverado LT 2WD Crew Cab with the EcoTec3 5.3L V8 Engine. It also has the Medium Trailering package with 3.42 Gears, Locking Rear Differential. It is rated to tow 9,800Lbs.

I am in the market of buying a Trailer Hitch for it but not quite sure what I need. The truck does not have trailer brakes integrated as that was only in the top Trailering package.

The only thing I would be towing is my GN and using a car trailer rented from UHAUL or one of the other moving companies until I can buy my own trailer.

GN is weighing in at 3400lbs and I'm guessing a car trailer from Uhaul is about 800lbs?

Can someone experienced in this area point me in the right direction and advise me on what I would need? Trailer Brakes? Weight Distribution?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

1425847999581.jpg

Good looking truck . You will want trailer brakes when towing your car because the combined weight of your car & trailer would be nearly the weight of your truck ! The trailers from U-Haul I believe have surge brakes which is a self contained hydraulic braking system on the trailer , no controller needed . Most places that sell trailers will install brake controllers for a fair price because I believe the electrical hook ups are already there if you have the trailering package . I also installed Firestone air bags ( 5000 lb. ) on my truck to help keep everything leveled out after loading up . They are about $200- $250 and easy to install yourself . Good Luck , Sam

I have always used Reese trunnion style weight distribution systems. You can add on true sway control with those bars in the future. If you purchase your own trailer you can set up the weight distribution and sway control and the trailers handle really well. The purpose of the weight distribution is to load the front axle and create and more "solid" and controllable truck. It works really well. I would highly recommend it especially with a half ton truck. The only thing better IMOP is a gooseneck. Hands down the best handling out there. After owning my first gooseneck (32' enclosed ATC all aluminum 16,800lbs) I will never go back to bumper pull except for small stuff.

The weight distribution tries to emulate the gooseneck handling and in my opinion does a fairly good job of it.

Edit: when I say sway control I'm talking about the cam action using the trunnion bars. NOT that friction bar that mounts on a tiny second ball. Those friction slider bars are junk don't waste your time.

there is a hitch on the truck.. you just need the part that slides in and the proper sized ball for the trailer you are pulling.. i have a whole pile of them with several different sized balls so i can just slide in the one i need, and i don't think i've ever bought one since i've gotten them all from cars and trucks that i've scrapped out.. i keep them under the rear seat in a $5 tote i got at Wal Mart, along with a bunch of ratchet straps.

all the wiring for the brake should already be in the truck: buy a harness and whatever controller you want and plug it in under the dash. they sell controllers now that mount the main box out of sight with just a small part with the display and manual activation lever that you put where you can see and reach it. it might be handy to get a couple of plug in adapters to allow you to run a trailer that is wired for 6, 5, and 4 wires with the 7 pin RV connector that they put on the truck. they cost about $10 each and don't take up a lot of space in the glove box.

Just because it sez it can pull 9800lbs, I would go hooking one that big up to a 1500. You have to stop it and be passed on the highway by large trucks.

there is a hitch on the truck.. you just need the part that slides in and the proper sized ball for the trailer you are pulling.. i have a whole pile of them with several different sized balls so i can just slide in the one i need, and i don't think i've ever bought one since i've gotten them all from cars and trucks that i've scrapped out.. i keep them under the rear seat in a $5 tote i got at Wal Mart, along with a bunch of ratchet straps.

all the wiring for the brake should already be in the truck: buy a harness and whatever controller you want and plug it in under the dash. they sell controllers now that mount the main box out of sight with just a small part with the display and manual activation lever that you put where you can see and reach it. it might be handy to get a couple of plug in adapters to allow you to run a trailer that is wired for 6, 5, and 4 wires with the 7 pin RV connector that they put on the truck. they cost about $10 each and don't take up a lot of space in the glove box.

Yes the truck comes equipped with the hitch already. So all I would need is the part that slides in and the ball and also a trailer brake controller with proper wiring harness?
What about a weight distribution system or is that part of the hitch that is already on the truck.

Looked up Uhaul and trailer actually weighs 2,200lbs. That puts the total weight to around 5,700lbs. It takes a 2" Ball so I would be buying that size ball for now.

Thanks for the help

Just because it sez it can pull 9800lbs, I would go hooking one that big up to a 1500. You have to stop it and be passed on the highway by large trucks.

Not looking to pull anything near that. Only thing I have to pull is my GN.

Good looking truck . You will want trailer brakes when towing your car because the combined weight of your car & trailer would be nearly the weight of your truck ! The trailers from U-Haul I believe have surge brakes which is a self contained hydraulic braking system on the trailer , no controller needed . Most places that sell trailers will install brake controllers for a fair price because I believe the electrical hook ups are already there if you have the trailering package . I also installed Firestone air bags ( 5000 lb. ) on my truck to help keep everything leveled out after loading up . They are about $200- $250 and easy to install yourself . Good Luck , Sam

Thank you. I'm looking in to trailer brakes now and will see if it is needed with a Uhaul trailer.

I just looked at U-Haul web site and the auto transport trailer has the surge brakes I talked about . No brake controller needed for that trailer .

I've only used weight distribution on 2 5/16 ball setups. You wouldn't use weight distribution on a uhaul trailer because it requires brackets on the trailer. Down the road if you purchase a trailer and you get one a little heavier that puts you into the 2 5/16 category I would revisit your questions

I've only used weight distribution on 2 5/16 ball setups. You wouldn't use weight distribution on a uhaul trailer because it requires brackets on the trailer. Down the road if you purchase a trailer and you get one a little heavier that puts you into the 2 5/16 category I would revisit your questions

Makes a lot of sense now. Thank you for your help.

You might want to double check your tow weight most car companies have the total tow weight witch includes the weight of your truck.

No that's about right for towing capacity on that truck. Suspensions and brakes have come a long way in half ton trucks. Half ton trucks are much more capable than they were years ago. Towing capacity on my 03 3/4ton Duramax is 16000

Ok just figured I would mention it I have an 03 1500hd and it says it rated at 1400# but that is total vehicle + trailer.

I second the air bags I put them on my truck and they are better than helper springs. One of the best upgrades I have done. I got the air lift hd set for around 350$. I have not done the compressor yet but that would make it all that much better.

I second the air bags I put them on my truck and they are better than helper springs. One of the best upgrades I have done. I got the air lift hd set for around 350$. I have not done the compressor yet but that would make it all that much better.

I have had them on my 92 GMC Sierra for the last 15 yrs and still going strong . I overloaded it one time with 3000 lbs of stone in the bed and it didn't even squat , but the tires weren't happy ! :eek: They make it nice to level the trailer load .

Ok just figured I would mention it I have an 03 1500hd and it says it rated at 1400# but that is total vehicle + trailer.
I assume you mean 14,000. What you're trying to talk about is gross combined vehicle weight rating. GCVWR and that information is in your user manual. The 1500 HD most likely has a 6.0 gas engine. The trailer weight capacity for the gas trucks is significantly less than the diesels. The 6 liter trucks do very well. I've put a lot of miles towing with one my father has the 6 liter gas in a 2001 1500 HD. but when you do a lot of towing nothing beats the diesel. Set the cruise control and go.

Keep in mind the GVW is the weight of the truck fully loaded to include passengers and tongue weight of trailer. It can be found on the drivers door. For example my truck is a 9200 GVW. This means that the truck weight loaded with passengers luggage fuel and trailer tongue weight cannot exceed 9200 pounds

Last edited:
Yeah I understand I was confused when I first started using my truck to tow. I did not have the money for a diesel back when I got mine. But it has pulled everything I have hooked up to it so far. My GVW is 8200#. I have had the bed full of dirt and pulling a trailer rated at 10,000# with a compact tractor with no issues. I would definitely recommend a brake controller though.