TR vs 6.0 Camaro

KevinB

Had a great time tonight! Got to get some runs in with a buddy's built 6.0 Camaro SS 6sp.

My car was on it's pump gas setup which makes it about a mid-10 second, 130ish trapping car. His car usually runs a 150 shot of spray, but did not use it for these runs. Basically, both cars tonight were very close.

I usually don't roll race, but that's what we did here.

1st run was a 20 mph start. I was in first gear but did not build any boost up. The car suffered too much turbo lag and the V8 car got a big jump. He let out so we could run again.

2nd run was the same 20mph start. I brake boosted this time. I quickly got a 3 car lead and slowly pulled away.

3rd and last run was a 60mph pull. I brake boosted again and spun real bad and got a little side ways.:eek: I quickly got it straightened out and got about the same results as the 2nd race:D

The bad part was all that brake boosting did something to my brakes. I had to drive 20 miles home with some mushy @ss brakes:redface: I guess that's a small price to pay for a good time:D Looks like the old V6 can still keep up with today's newer horsepower:biggrin:

Disclaimer: All races were done on a private road.

is this one of the brand new camaros, or is it an older one with a 6 liter swap or a bored out ls1 or something? either way, great kill. obviously a fully built LS series is no joke.

Boil the brake fluid did we? Time for a flush and possibly some new front pads. Once these glaze over they are done.

I tracked my car on day just for giggles. Made 3/4 of 1 lap before the brakes packed up and went home. The pedal was always soft after that. I flushed the system and put new pads on. It solved the problem.

Boil the brake fluid did we? Time for a flush and possibly some new front pads. Once these glaze over they are done.

I tracked my car on day just for giggles. Made 3/4 of 1 lap before the brakes packed up and went home. The pedal was always soft after that. I flushed the system and put new pads on. It solved the problem.
Haven't touched it yet. Been way too busy working on other people's cars lately. I think I might have pushed through the master cylinder...if that's possible:confused: My car has vacuum brakes, stock front brakes and rear drums off a '80 F-250 on the 9". I know it's not leaking. You can get a decent peddle but then you can feel it slowly go to the floor.

is this one of the brand new camaros, or is it an older one with a 6 liter swap or a bored out ls1 or something? either way, great kill. obviously a fully built LS series is no joke.

Thanks! It was a 2000 Camaro. Neat build for sure. It revs past 7500+. He's got a 4-barrel intake with a spacer with a throttle body hat and a huge t-body. He ran a high ten I believe off the spray.

Sounds like a strong running Camaro for sure to go up against your car.
Good kills none the less.

Rolling brake boosting with vacuum brakes?

I bet you blew the diaphram seal in the booster. Especially if you have a weak check valve in the line that runs over to the booster. I had this happen to me once. Time to convert to manual brakes or test/replace the booster.

I do agree with what notacarlo said too.
Boiled fluid and killed the pads.
HTH

Patrick

Patrick, I'm hoping to get some work done it this weekend. The brakes still have good power assist, not sure if the booster is broke. I'd like to get manual brakes but its not in the budget now.

Brett, its a 70gtq. I was running only 18psi with 93 octane no alchy. My car doesn't make power unless its over 25psi. The 18psi tune is just my fun street tune. Race gas is too expensive to drive around on. This tune usually runs a high tens in the mid 120s at the track on dr's. I'm getting ready to fix the brakes and get the c16 tune back in it to get ready for cbus.

why would you brake boost while moving? what , do you punch it and slam the brakes at the same time while doing 20 or what ever? good way to ruin alot of not so cheap parts. save the rolling ricer starts for the f&f guys and spend the wasted money on upgrading instead of replacing. jmho

Darkside,not sure of the stall but I know it works good at the track. Maybe around a 3200 or so would be my guess.

Wile I did it because it was fun and there is no place to do dig races around my place.

It was the master cylinder. Thankfully Autozone has a lifetime warranty:biggrin:

why would you brake boost while moving? what , do you punch it and slam the brakes at the same time while doing 20 or what ever? good way to ruin alot of not so cheap parts. save the rolling ricer starts for the f&f guys and spend the wasted money on upgrading instead of replacing. jmho
Nah you dont slam the brakes that would result in a ridiculous skid retarded lookin maneuver...You just ride the brakes and push the gas enough that the car builds boost release the brake while you r still rolling for a no lag launch from a roll it dosent really seem to hurt stuff if you do it right:biggrin:

Nah you dont slam the brakes that would result in a ridiculous skid retarded lookin maneuver...You just ride the brakes and push the gas enough that the car builds boost release the brake while you r still rolling for a no lag launch from a roll it dosent really seem to hurt stuff if you do it right:biggrin:

What he said^^ It's good fun...until the car walks sideways at 60+:eek:

What he said^^ It's good fun...until the car walks sideways at 60+:eek:

What the hell are you brake boosting your car from a roll for...LOL if we are indeed talking about your car in the sig.... that car shouldnt have much lag ;)

What the hell are you brake boosting your car from a roll for...LOL if we are indeed talking about your car in the sig.... that car shouldnt have much lag ;)

Compared to a big V8 car...it's got a lot lol.

Good news, the brakes worked good at the track:biggrin: Also had a very good run for the current tune. With a 50/50 mix of 93 octane and 110 octane race gas, the car went 10.3 @ 131 with a bad 1.56 60'. I'm pretty happy with that:D Now I got to get the car ready for the next Buick event in a few weeks. Got to put the good c16 tune back into it and turn it up 10psi.