TR prices lately

If nothing else at least our cars aren't dropping in value.

I've been going back and forth on whether to sell my cars. (I've got too much going on and rarely drive them any more)- They're near perfect and I can't bear to get rid of them but if I have to I'm not interested in giving them away so, I'm happy to see that we're on the uptick.

Yeah I am just interpreting what Hagerty has price point and look at what is selling for that. Almost brand new GN's are selling in the $40k range, low mile creampuffs will pull high 20k- low 30k range, real clean resto mods are pulling high teens- low 20k range, etc.

As you guys know my 1,400 mile GN is for sale , very loaded , all the papers / documents you would want and expect with a low mile car . I started at $44,750 BO. Could have sold it 5 times at $35-37k , and a couple high $30's which I turned down .It is in Hemmings ,Carsonline , and Dupont Registry. I've seen what has been happening to the GN prices since early spring ,with a notable jump since Aug . I'm not gonna "panic sell it" , it can sit there for sale for awhile at that number ,eventually I believe it will sell. If not ,then I will have to drop the price a little at a time.
Selling this car will be bittersweet ,as I know I will never have another like it . Not because it is mine , since I have owned it I have not seen a comparable to it.
I keep saying ,even when the comparable to mine come up for sale , the sellers only have a handful of pics ,most time not very good ones , then others have a small description of the car. Selling a car of this caliber ,you'd better have tons of high res pics and a very detailed description if you want to fetch good money for it .
The one currently on Ebay with 358 miles cranking up in price from day one has hit a reserve of $46k .Is this legit ? Again ,few pics ,and one sentence write up ? I have not tried Ebay with mine ,more PITA than anything most of the time ,idiots calling you, stupid offers ,stupid questions,etc. If I do ,it's going to be a BIN /Make Offer auction so my price is right out in the open for all to see , no questioning about shil bids ,etc.Here it is if you want it.
We will not know if the 358 mile GN is legit until the auction ends and you "don't" see it come up again ,then one could assume it was real and sold.If comes up again with a "buyer backed out" line ,well one could only assume the seller was playing games with the auction.
But again ,wow ,it's at $46k !!!! Says never dealer prepped ,but most of the "never prepped" plastic is off.The only plastic left is the sheets attached to the carpet , and window sticker is still on window.

A $20,000 GN selling for $40,000 is still less than a 3% rate of return. And you probably didn't drive it to get that much out of it. Factor in all the other cheap performance available in late model muscle and I don't see prices skyrocketing soon. And even at $40k it seems like a bad deal since it doesn't get used and it's a bad ROR.

A $20,000 GN selling for $40,000 is still less than a 3% rate of return. And you probably didn't drive it to get that much out of it. Factor in all the other cheap performance available in late model muscle and I don't see prices skyrocketing soon. And even at $40k it seems like a bad deal since it doesn't get used and it's a bad ROR.
Good thought process ,a GNX is not all that much different , $29,999 ,......or more ,to hold for 27 years with sub 1k miles to sell for $70 -75,80k ? Not a big return for 27 years worth of looking at it .Could have bought and sold 10 cars making 10 % on each and been more ahead in profit.

Yea the idea is to buy low as close as possible before the demand hits and prices skyrocket. Anyone who picked up a great 68-70 "in demand" mint condition muscle car 8 years ago has done well.

The guys who purchased a 2002 Camaro SS and parked it are now seeing that their "investment" is worth about 5,000 less than what they paid. Womp womp.

1987 White Turbo T - TE60 w/ Alky
12.1@113 on street tires

Yea the idea is to buy low as close as possible before the demand hits and prices skyrocket. Anyone who picked up a great 68-70 "in demand" mint condition muscle car 8 years ago has done well.

The guys who purchased a 2002 Camaro SS and parked it are now seeing that their "investment" is worth about 5,000 less than what they paid. Womp womp.

12.1@113 on street tires
Buy a new Hellcat Challenger for investment and not drive it !!!! Yeah right , I'd be driving the ^@%* out of it !!!! Can't believe so many did that with GNX's !!!!

Why do y'all wanna sell the coolest car ever made if'n ya have one?

Jus' askin' :D

Buy a new Hellcat Challenger for investment and not drive it !!!! Yeah right , I'd be driving the ^@%* out of it !!!! Can't believe so many did that with GNX's !!!!
Being today's kids aren't "car kids" I'll bet more would want a "collectible" iphone 1 than a Hellcat in 30 years. :rolleyes:

12.1@113 on street tires

Factor in all the other cheap performance available in late model muscle and I don't see prices skyrocketing soon.

So in this sentence you compared TR's to modern muscle. This is funny to me because most of us here, including me, have a hard time coming to terms that our cars are no longer seen as performance cars, but more as classic cars that were known for their legendary performance back in the day. We bought our cars because of their performance aspects and modern comforts...at least I did. The people who want to buy these cars now don't want to take them to the track and race them. They want to own their highschool dream car. That is why the low mile, original cars are going to be worth big money and all the driver quality, modded cars will not. Pro Touring cars that have no rollbar might do well. Heath Elmer cars have a cult following and do well. I was just telling him that he needs to build another one and sell it.

As you guys know my 1,400 mile GN is for sale , very loaded , all the papers / documents you would want and expect with a low mile car . I started at $44,750 BO. Could have sold it 5 times at $35-37k , and a couple high $30's which I turned down .It is in Hemmings ,Carsonline , and Dupont Registry. I've seen what has been happening to the GN prices since early spring ,with a notable jump since Aug . I'm not gonna "panic sell it" , it can sit there for sale for awhile at that number ,eventually I believe it will sell. If not ,then I will have to drop the price a little at a time.
Selling this car will be bittersweet ,as I know I will never have another like it . Not because it is mine , since I have owned it I have not seen a comparable to it.
I keep saying ,even when the comparable to mine come up for sale , the sellers only have a handful of pics ,most time not very good ones , then others have a small description of the car. Selling a car of this caliber ,you'd better have tons of high res pics and a very detailed description if you want to fetch good money for it .
The one currently on Ebay with 358 miles cranking up in price from day one has hit a reserve of $46k .Is this legit ? Again ,few pics ,and one sentence write up ? I have not tried Ebay with mine ,more PITA than anything most of the time ,idiots calling you, stupid offers ,stupid questions,etc. If I do ,it's going to be a BIN /Make Offer auction so my price is right out in the open for all to see , no questioning about shil bids ,etc.Here it is if you want it.
We will not know if the 358 mile GN is legit until the auction ends and you "don't" see it come up again ,then one could assume it was real and sold.If comes up again with a "buyer backed out" line ,well one could only assume the seller was playing games with the auction.
But again ,wow ,it's at $46k !!!! Says never dealer prepped ,but most of the "never prepped" plastic is off.The only plastic left is the sheets attached to the carpet , and window sticker is still on window.

Be patient for a year or 2 and you will get what you want.

Be patient for a year or 2 and you will get what you want.

Orrr get it to the Barrett Jackson auction this January in Scottsdale and see if you can get signed up to have it cross the block on Friday night, or Saturday. They get plain dumb there. Last year I saw a couple GN's worth about $15k sell for $35k. A low mile GNX sold for $110k or so.

I think prices are getting better and they should.

Its not cheap at all to build one of these things correctly and the last 5 years everyone thinks they can get a low mile 8 second car for $15K. So maybe some sanity is coming back to the marketplace.

I completely agree with you. I never thought I was going to be close to $17k on building the engine and transmission to at least hold 500rwhp reliably until I just did it and damn it added up quick! And this is not including interior and exterior restoration. Btw I have mine in the forsale section for 20k...

cars go up in value right around the time that the people that wanted them when they were poor teenagers start to have enough expendable income to actually get a nice one... right now, the teenagers of the 80's are starting to get done raising their kids and have more money to throw at the car that they've always wanted- some would call it a midlife crisis- which would have been GN and 5.0 Mustangs in the late 80's..

look at the race seen on these cars. It's slowly dying off. Parts will start becoming less and less available and it will drive the cost of everything up.

I just parted out my street strip car in favour of a closer to stock limited and I got way more money out of parting the street car out, then I ever would have selling it complete. I also ended up with a nicer car and two drivetrains.

look at the race seen on these cars. It's slowly dying off. Parts will start becoming less and less available and it will drive the cost of everything up.

I just parted out my street strip car in favour of a closer to stock limited and I got way more money out of parting the street car out, then I ever would have selling it complete. I also ended up with a nicer car and two drivetrains.

One less TR on the road, making the ones we have out there just a bit more rare and a second drive train to make "clone" TR out of...... :eek::ROFLMAO::D

I've noticed irocs and monte ss' have went up a bit. 10 years ago you could get a nice iroc or monte ss for 3-4k. At that price now you are looking at a nice driver MAYBE. Iroc convertibles suprisingly haven't went up. Monte ss' unless you got around 5k you will end up with crap. Doesn't help most of these cars got that ass handed to them by circle jerk farm kids. Yeah there's still deals out there, but they don't come around often. I wanted another iroc REALLY bad since I had to let mine go. People trying to sell parts cars for 2k. Rediculous. Screw it, bought another regal for a fraction of what one of those cars would have cost.

IROCs from the 80s aren't that collectible or desired, they were slow as piss and there's a TON of them out there. I hardly ever see them cross the block and when they do they aren't going for much.

i got my monte carlo SS years ago for $5,000 and to me that was a lot of cash back then for a rust free, all OEM 44,000 mile vehicle(it was 2000 and i was a junior in high school). today these cars are jumping up in value. that same year I could of bought a GNX from my friend's uncle but to me $20,000 was alot of cash for a mint car and i could not justify it. only if I had know i would have taken a chance and bought that car.

I would disagree that Monte Carlos are "jumping" up in value. If anything they are going down in relation to their MSRP. They aren't even listed on Hagerty's Price guide(which deals with primarily antique/collector/classic cars) and according to NADA they aren't worth much either(see pic below). Like the IROCs they were slow from the factory and a ton of them were made and not very collectible, come to think of it I can't remember seeing one roll across Barrett Jackson or mecum for a long time.

upload_2015-1-6_12-44-33.png