TPS sensor range

carbuff

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my TPS, and I want to know if I should worry about it. I have a Holley throttle body for a SBC.

At idle, I have adjusted the TPS to read about 5%. But, no matter where I adjust it, I can't read more than about 80-81% at WOT. I've checked and I do have 5V going into the sensor...

I presume this is a bad thing? Anyone else use this TB and have a similar problem?

Thanx!
Bryan

Those are nearly identical to my TPS readings.

Remember, on a Speed-Density system, TPS doesn't matter much- just for things like AE enrichment, etc.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

HEY! Slightly off-topic, but...

Hello,

You guys may have the answer to a small problem I'm facing - my son's '85 MCSS will soon be receiving a 385" stroker motor. We plan on keeping all factory electronics *except* the quadra-junk 4 bbl. So, questions is this: any way to connect a TPS sensor to a Holley 750 carb? This would only be needed to maintain the accel/decel part of TCC lockup - certainly not a necessity, but would be nice to keep...

Thanks!

Too bad you've made up your mind on the Quadrajet.

They are actually a better then a Holley in most respects, but folks like the ease of working with Holleys.

If you were to get a copy of Doug Roe's Quadrajet book, and work with the Q-Jet you would be amazed at how well they can run.

For the TCC B+M makes a deal to do that.
The TCI one (vacuum operated was trash in my book)

TCI makes a bracket to mount a TPS on a carburetor. Part number is 377400. You can call TCI at (662) 224-8972 and they can give you the details and the price on the setup.

Craig

Thanks, Craig!:cool: That appears to be a remote-mount unit, I was hoping to find something that would attach directly to the throttle shaft, but it'll do in a pinch.

Bruce, I've been inside this beast before (rebuild) and it's NOT a pretty sight. :mad: It's a wonder it ever ran again. :eek: I've done several Holleys and they are much easier to rebuild and tune. C'mon, *rods* vs *jets* - no comparison! As for the B&M TPS mount, I couldn't find it on their web site, so I'll call when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Originally posted by S10xGN

Bruce, I've been inside this beast before (rebuild) and it's NOT a pretty sight. :mad: It's a wonder it ever ran again. :eek: I've done several Holleys and they are much easier to rebuild and tune. C'mon, *rods* vs *jets* - no comparison!

If you want easy, then yes, Holley since they are such a crude devise. Try changing the idle air bypass on you holley, idle fuel jet, idle channel restriction.

Change the secondary AE with a vac Holley.
Change the fuel prgession on a Holley 4 barrel period.

Change the overall CFM on a Holley.

Like I said the Q-Jet leaves the Holley in the dust.

Easy, take apart and change jets with a Holley, yep.
Correct fueling, the Holley is actually slightly more tunable then a rock.

A serious read of Doug Roes Q-Jet book would be an aid into what a Q-Jet really can do.

Changing jets generally means spilling some fuel with a Holley not so with a Q-Jet.