TPS connector plug wiring pigtail?

whitehot1

I replaced my original connector about 8 years ago with one i bought from Oreilly auto parts and it's made by BWD. And the wires are from top to bottom, black,dark blue, light gray. The engine idles /runs perfect though like this.

In another thread i was looking at, it was mentioned that the wiring on that connector plug should be

top to bottom - gray,dark blue, black.

I thought i was kind of going crazy,so i went on Oreilly's website and found the replacement wiring connector plug that i had bought. It's in this link.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...1479/connector/pt300/2603450/1986/buick/regal

I don't remember switching any wires around when i installed the new connector plug.

What i would like to know is if anyone else has their TPS connector plug wired the same - from top to bottom , black,dark blue,light gray.

I replaced my original connector about 8 years ago with one i bought from Oreilly auto parts and it's made by BWD. And the wires are from top to bottom, black,dark blue, light gray. The engine idles /runs perfect though like this.

In another thread i was looking at, it was mentioned that the wiring on that connector plug should be

top to bottom - gray,dark blue, black.

I thought i was kind of going crazy,so i went on Oreilly's website and found the replacement wiring connector plug that i had bought. It's in this link.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...1479/connector/pt300/2603450/1986/buick/regal

I don't remember switching any wires around when i installed the new connector plug.

What i would like to know is if anyone else has their TPS connector plug wired the same - from top to bottom , black,dark blue,light gray.
My suggestion would be to get a copy of the wiring diag for factory harness the wire to your plug..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

here's the schematic

Attachments

• TPS.png
    TPS.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
There is no "top" and "bottom". There are cavity designators, in this case, A, B, and C.

A is gray
B is blue
C is black

The color code on the O-Reilly part is reversed from our cars. Your car is running ok so you have it wired correctly. I assume you spliced it into the existing wiring harness. You have the black wire on the connector tied to the grey wire in the harness and the grey wire on the connector tied to the black wire in the harness. Your ok.

Gotta watch though. The 84-85 cars had the TPS black and gray opposite. Black is in A and Gray is in C on the hot air cars. The intercooled cars were opposite.

The color code on the O-Reilly part is reversed from our cars. Your car is running ok so you have it wired correctly. I assume you spliced it into the existing wiring harness. You have the black wire on the connector tied to the grey wire in the harness and the grey wire on the connector tied to the black wire in the harness. Your ok.

You're right. It has to be wired correctly or it wouldn't run properly. I just don't remember the color of the wires in the harness since it's been so long ago that i did it.

Maybe someday i'll put a piece of gray tape on the top wire that is black and a piece of black tape on the bottom wire that is gray,and it will all be good. lol

Thanks to all for the help.

To clarify:

1984-1985 TPS
A - Black
B - Blue
C - Gray

1986-1989
A - Gray
B - Blue
C - Black

I just looked at both of my books again and see that it does look like this is the case. I'm starting to get dizzy from looking at the wiring diagrams. The pigtail that whitehot1 bought from O'Reilly is incorrectly advertised as a replacement for 86-87 cars. Caspers sells pigtails with the correct and opposite color configuration for each set-up.

Last edited:
I can concur the parts store replacements are wired incorrectly, at least for our 86/87 applications.