tps and tv cable issue

we4_87

Hey guys, I am needing some advice/help with setting WOT tps volts. I have been a member here for a few months, but have been reading this forum for about a year and am learning lots. I just installed a Turbo Tweak 5.7 classic chip, as well as Scanmaster, and RJC power plate.

Based on the information that came with the chip, all my numbers at idle are in check including the tps. At WOT I could not get my tps above ~3.8 votls even after much filing of the half moon slots. I searched the forum and found that the TV cable may be to tight. I used the GM recommended method and pulled the TV cable all the way back to the firewall and stepped on the pedal. The notches have all dissappeared into the detent which I know is not correct, but now I can get well over 4.0 volts. I attempted to hold the throttle lever open while pulling back on the TV cable and can now see 2 notches but only 4.04 volts. As well the shifting of 1-2, and 2-3 both happen very softly at ~1700 rpm at 1/4 throttle.

Has anyone else encounter this problem? How, or what can I try to fix this?

Any information is greatly appredciated. Thanks

Unhook the TV cable from the throttle linkage and set the TPS with it unhooked. Once it's done, manually adjust the TV cable so that it will max out at the instant the throttle hits wide open. I don't trust the ratchet method, and I've had the TV cable prevent true WOT without ratcheting outward on its own. Be prepared to hate your part throttle shifts after setting it that way, it's likely a different setting than before. It will not affect WOT trans function as long as it bottoms out at WOT.

I've also heard rumors of cruise control stuff getting in the way of true WOT but never seen it personally.

And when THAT'S all said and done you need to verify from in the car that the gas pedal/floormat situation allows WOT.

My TV cable is ratcheting almost completely outward ( 1 or 2 notches visible) to the radiator for it to allow WOT of the throttle linkage. The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are really weak and just melt into each other.

In all my searching I haven't read of anyone else having this issue. I was really hoping someone would know of a fix for this.

As long as it DOES allow WOT, the number of clicks visible on the cable don't mean squat.

Are you saying there's a difference in WOT shifts? because there shouldn't be. If there is, the cable isn't adjusted properly.

If you want an easy way to improve your part throttle shift without messing up the WOT adjustment, I DO have a fix for that. And I can point you in the right direction.

I have only been looking at partial throttle shifting. Right now the TV cable is adjusted to allow WOT. I have had the car for 5 years and the partial throttle shifts were nice and firm.

But since pluging in the scanmaster and adjusting the TV cable for the sake of the WOT tps volts, I have become disapointed in the soft partial throttle shifts.

What kind of fix do you have?

Ok there's 3 things you can do here:

1: Leave it alone and get used to it. It's now back to "original calibration" and won't hurt anything, you were just more used to the shifts because that's the way it's always been.

2: Go into the trans and modify any number of things to mess with the shift quality. Shift kit, governor/servo mods, etc. The veteran trans. builders will inform you that this is the "proper" way to alter shifts and they are technically correct.

3: Install one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/700R4-Throttle-Valve-Cable-Corrector-Spring-200R4-TH350-/360354498295
There may be better prices out there for them, this was the first good pic I found from a google search.

I'd do #3. I have one on my car (ssshhhhhhhh, don't tell anybody!). What it does is holds the TV cable tighter at part throttle, boosting part throttle line pressure and altering the shift quality back to where you had it before. At WOT, the spring collapses and lets the throttle linkage actually get to WOT. Think of it as a variable length cable. If you get REALLY bored, you can play with the spring tension and length to alter the "curve" and play with part throttle shifts as long as you desire. Spring length controls how much "boost" is added and spring tension controls how long it stays that way before bottoming out. You will very likely find that the spring that comes with it is too long and makes the shifts too high, you'll probably have to lift off the gas at certain throttle angles just to get it to upshift. What felt right to me, on my car, was the original spring cut down t0 a little over 1/2 the original length. VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Once you put that on, the added length of that plastic retainer will alter the proper setting of the TV cable yet again. You should be able to play with spring length once it's on without worry, but upon first install you'll need to let the cable out a couple more clicks. Once again, set it so that it bottoms out at the exact point it goes WOT.

You are not the only one who has been disappointed in part throttle shifts after getting the WOT correct. How do you think I figured all this out? LOL luckily at the time I was working in a tranny shop and my boss pointed me to these things. When done correctly they don't hurt a thing, it's just like having the cable a couple clicks too tight but without the negatives :)

I was told that the car had a shift kit when I bought it, maybe I will look into #3.

Probably not. As long as they firm up good with throttle. If they are mushy at anything over 1/2 throttle you might have reason for concern. The shift kit stuff as well as the original calibration of the trans was designed to work with the TV cable set exactly as it is, you shouldn't NEED to mess with it. If you like the shifts higher and firmer at part throttle, then buy the $10-15 spring thingy and modify the spring to your liking.

Do you have any information on the spring? Such as the diameter, and spring rate. I am thinking about trying to make one.

Dude just buy one. I'm the tightest of tight asses with most things but even i'd just buy it. That plastic sleeve has to have enough depth to it for the spring to collapse onto it at WOT. The spring is stiffer than you'd think it would be. Ink pen spring is not stiff enough LOL.

Dude just buy one. I'm the tightest of tight asses with most things but even i'd just buy it. That plastic sleeve has to have enough depth to it for the spring to collapse onto it at WOT. The spring is stiffer than you'd think it would be. Ink pen spring is not stiff enough LOL.
$7.......SEVEN DOLLARS!!!!:eek:

Plus $7 shipping. That's where they get ya!

I actually did some quick searching for one and couldn't find one cheaper to your door.

Most of the time yes lol but I haven't had any projects for a couple days and now things are starting to feel out of the norm.

I've also heard rumors of cruise control stuff getting in the way of true WOT but never seen it personally
I just had to take my cruise cable out because it was stopping wot, it was binding up. Set my tps and tv cable and was good to go just have to get a new cruise cable.

Hey guys, I am needing some advice/help with setting WOT tps volts. I have been a member here for a few months, but have been reading this forum for about a year and am learning lots. I just installed a Turbo Tweak 5.7 classic chip, as well as Scanmaster, and RJC power plate.

Based on the information that came with the chip, all my numbers at idle are in check including the tps. At WOT I could not get my tps above ~3.8 votls even after much filing of the half moon slots. I searched the forum and found that the TV cable may be to tight. I used the GM recommended method and pulled the TV cable all the way back to the firewall and stepped on the pedal. The notches have all dissappeared into the detent which I know is not correct, but now I can get well over 4.0 volts. I attempted to hold the throttle lever open while pulling back on the TV cable and can now see 2 notches but only 4.04 volts. As well the shifting of 1-2, and 2-3 both happen very softly at ~1700 rpm at 1/4 throttle.

Has anyone else encounter this problem? How, or what can I try to fix this?

Any information is greatly appredciated. Thanks

Are you sure the TPS isn't bad? 3.8 volts... never had a problem getting the TPS set myself. Also the the TV cable will stretch over time, just replaced mine last yr.

Chuck