Towing a GN

EMcNeice

Is an F-150 or 1500 Chevy sufficient to tow a GN or would I be better suited looking at 250's and 2500's? I have a 97 F-250 HD with a 351 V8 i'm looking at this week... i'm sure that would suffice, but should I be considering 1/2 tons as well?

Open or closed? A 1500 Chevy can tow a 20 foot open just fine. My mom had an expedition with the 5.4 and it was GUTLESS..I would not have towed a lawnmower with it.

Jason

I have an F350 PSD and a 22' goosenck flatbed. I can't even tell if the trailer or the car is back there. (7.3 of course)

The truck i'm looking at is a 97 F-250 XLT H/D ext cab, 5.8, auto. I'm assuming that should be adequate to pull a GN.

I towed mine around on a 20' open trailer for a couple years behind my v6 Explorer with absolutely no troubles, it that helps. F150 should be more than up to the task, F250 more than enough.
My present tow rig and trailer have since grown. :eek:

I tow GNs with my 351 GAS powered F-250HD @ 100mph in the left lane blowin by Jim Rome and Otto's diesel chitboxes at will...........:D Survival suit on.........;)

Sounds like that should be plenty of truck to do the job for you.
I've towed my '86 T on an open trailer with my '03 Dakota 4.7 that has the towing package and it pulled my car just fine, no problems. Just be sure to have a good frame mounted hitch, don't tow it off the bumper.

John

I tow GNs with my 351 GAS powered F-250HD @ 100mph in the left lane blowin by Jim Rome and Otto's diesel chitboxes at will...........:D Survival suit on.........;)
LOL...now that's funny..
All Hemi baby...
P1010042.jpg

i tow with a Excursion right now (12K tow rate) but i needed more tow rate due to other hobbies..
truckandGNtrailer.jpg

this was my old tow set-up for about 3 years.. the Lightning was rated at 5k and it did great with the GN in tow..
truck_n_car_3_.jpg

1/2 ton V8 should be enuff

I tow with a 1500 chevy , 5.3 auto, and have towd coast to coast, never a problem, and 14mpg towing!!
open trailer,
HEY ....... JIM, thats my car behind your Hemi,!!!!! good picture!:D

cruzn57

I tow mine with a GMC Vandura 1500 with a 5.7 litre engine. I use an 18' open trailer and can barely tell its back there. Plus its a conversion van so if I am camping at the track I just use the bed in the back and save time by not setting up a tent. With a TV, AC, screened windows, and a queen size bed in the back I got everything I need minus a pisser. :cool:

You need more than an Excursion to tow with? :eek: :eek:

Mine does fine!! :biggrin:

Check it out:

Trailer7 pictures from cars photos on webshots

just like Quick One posted above..The lightning won't handle the new water toys, so we moved up to the Excursion. the wife and i currently have that 23 footer but next year we are moving up to a 38 foot fountain Lightning.. she will push about 12K with trailer.. I'm thinking about stepping up to F350 TT Diesel (it can tow 24K :))

just like Quick One posted above..The lightning won't handle the new water toys, so we moved up to the Excursion. the wife and i currently have that 23 footer but next year we are moving up to a 38 foot fountain Lightning.. she will push about 12K with trailer.. I'm thinking about stepping up to F350 TT Diesel (it can tow 24K :))

The new Fords suck :D

Give it some time and let Ford get the wrinkles out of the new TT Powerstrokes. Right now, there's too many problems to jump right in.