torque converter

polin2424

Need a converter mine went bad. have stock turbo 009 inj rjcpowerplate cold air 3" downpipe fuel pump and hotwireed. Maybe thinking of upgrading to a 44 49 or 51 turbo later. i drive this car every day. but want something that will get up and get. :D If any one could help me out thanks.

Protorque 10.5" lockup and the single disk 0 pump 3000 stall 9.5" Vigilante lockup are in my two cars.

If I have to go anywhere I have to use one of them, both drivers.

No issues with either one although my Protorque is a 3200 stall unit but they make a 3000 stall one too I believe.

Both would work well with the stock turbo or any of the others you mentioned and possibly a 60 or 61 turbo.

Both raced and locked WOT in 3rd as well, got about 10K on the Vigilante and about 20K on the Protorque so far in miles.

While the tranny is out make sure you get a good street/strip rebuild from a reputable vendor. :cool:

Just my .02.

i would consider a PST Xtreme 9/11 converter. I had one in my 93 Typhoon that i drove everyday. it was a 3400 stall and i had a 61 turbo and it was soooo sweet. loved the performance and never had a problem. they are a little pricey but worth every penny. i will never use any other converter. hope that helps ya. just my opionion.

Assuming you want to run more boost with the new turbo with increased octane of some type, the stock transmission might start flaring real quick on you, if it's already been rebuilt then it probably won't.

Here's a good source for a good transmission. :)

http://www.dynotechperformance.com/tb_tta_s.php

If you are only going to run 93/94 pump gas level boost keep the stock turbo on it if it's still good, and keep a stock D5 torque converter in the car or pick up a red stripe D5 restalled to 2600 or so for a replacement.

If you up the boost and power with increased octane the tranny has to be in good shape, that would depend on the miles and condition previous repairs etc.

Since you have to pull it out to get the converter in there it might be time to be sure it will last.

Depends on the goals and current shape of the parts.

I have a PTE51 on my GN with the 3000 stall Vigilante 0 pump and it is about perfect for both street and strip. Alky. injection and pump gas.

24 psi. easy safe tune, Dynotech street/strip tranny in that car.

Other car has their Hi-Pro tranny buildup, I drive that one all winter. :cool:

I have a Protorque 12" 2800 lockup converter with less than 100 miles, switching combos, bought from jack cotton. pm me if your interested. It appears that it will suit your goals and the price will be obviously less than buying new. TIA, Mike.

salvageV6 said:
Protorque 10.5" lockup and the single disk 0 pump 3000 stall 9.5" Vigilante lockup are in my two cars.

If I have to go anywhere I have to use one of them, both drivers.

No issues with either one although my Protorque is a 3200 stall unit but they make a 3000 stall one too I believe.

Both would work well with the stock turbo or any of the others you mentioned and possibly a 60 or 61 turbo.

Both raced and locked WOT in 3rd as well, got about 10K on the Vigilante and about 20K on the Protorque so far in miles.

While the tranny is out make sure you get a good street/strip rebuild from a reputable vendor. :cool:

Just my .02.

How much was the 10.5 Pro Torque Lock Up?

List price is $700 I believe.

I paid a package deal for the rebuilt Hi-Pro tranny, Bweavy used transmission lines with installation, and the converter and installation with the tranny swap. I don't recall what the converter came to exactly in that mix however it was around $550-600, three years ago.

Keith Mease in Jersey had the lift and labor and knows Eric from Dynotech.

Here's the list of Special Features for the converter from their website.

Furnace brazed and welded fins
Computer Balancing
Torrington thrust bearings
Anti-ballooning plates
Ceramic carbon impregnated clutches
Hardened billet splines
Billet front covers
Pressure tested
Hardened pump drives
Hand-milled stators

Both converters mentioned work well for me. :)