Torque Converter won't stay locked??

hanly2

I need mo help. I was wondering if I did not bolt the Torque converter up exactly like it was(onto the fly wheel that is) would that effect operation. Mine will not lock up. I thought I had the TV cable at a good spot but the TC is screwed up. It was just having problems at 45-50 but now it is anytime I am in OD and sometimes when I am in the lower gears. It feels like when I shift from 1-2 it shifts real nice then downshifts again or unlocks and then up shifts again. It is getting to be a PIA. I am wondering if there is something electrical that controls this crap. If I can't fix it that way then I guess I am going to have to pull the trans and have it rebuilt. My uncle said to drive the car to 45-50 and tap the brake with my foot still on the gas. and see what it does. Well i did this and it seemed to make it unlock when you do that what does that tell us?

I am having the exact same problem since I installed the thrasher 92 chip, only thing I can think that I have changed. Haven't had any time to take a serious look, but I would be interested in any opinions on this one also.

The only thing electrical is the l/u and tapping the brake while cruizing should raise the rpm when it unlocks then lower again when it locks. (brake pedal has a switch to unlock it when pressed then a sec. or two after should relock) That should tell you if it is working. What do you mean about not bolting it back up the same? if you mean not matching the same holes in the plate with the same ones they came out of that doesn't matter as long as all 3 are back in and tight.

Yeh thats what i meant. I thought there was something that was related to the ecm telling the converter when to lock up. Is it all mechanical? Is the only way to fix this a new converter?