Torque converter slippage?

Some symptoms can be spongy driveability, loss of mph in the 1/4, elevated cruise rpm and excessive heat.

excessive as in engine temp goes up? Cause my temp has been on the fritz for a while now and i cant figure out what it is as well as slippage around 4000 and alot of howling...The howling goes away when the car is put in neutral, Can the torque converter make a noise like this?

It is possible that the heat created in the transmission can drive the coolant temp up if you have the stock cooler still in the radiator, but the heat would have to be pretty extreme. Have you checked the fluid condition? Color and odor will tell the story on excessive heat.

It is possible to have the converter howl like that. Putting the transmission in neutral will take some load off of the converter. The slippage is a sure sign of some sort of failure, converter or something else. Best to pull it and find out what, ASAP, before more damage is done.

Well my tranny fluid is still cherry red so I'm thinking that the clutches cant be burnt up then. Also, it was like this for the whoile drive across the country so the clutches would definitly be fried by now if it was them. The cooling problem I think is a reasult of my fans not turning on for some reason or another, I have ot look into that more.

Thanks, Bobby