Torque Converter Problem Need Advice

bkoons

I have a 9" Art-Carr lock-up torque converter. Worked great when I first got it, but I wanted to loosen it up some. I sent it in and it came back with the wrong splines in it... didn't find out until it was installed and I tried to back out of the garage. Sent it back in and this time it would flash right up past 5000 rpm with the trans brake. Also, at this point the clutch doesn't want to engage unless I jumper it at the diagnostic port. Sent it in again and it seems just a little tighter when driving it, still no clutch engagement. But after the drive I pull in the driveway, engage the brake and it still runs up to 5000 and beyond. After that I notice a bad sound when I pull it into the garage. It's a skreech, but not constant, it comes and goes when moving like its timed to the input shaft. When I heard this, I turned it off as soon as I drove it the 20 feet I needed to get into the garage.
Is it possible something in the transmission was slipping (even with the trans brake) giving the false impression the torque converter was too loose? The tranny appeared to work fine before I removed the converter the first time and there hasn't been any metal in the fluid anytime I drain it (havn't drained it yet this time). There has been a little fine black sooty looking stuff in the bottom of the pan (clutch material???). Is it possible the converter got messed up when being re-stalled? Is the clutch not working just a coincidence? it does engage when jumpered but it worked fine before the first converter removal.