Torque Converter Identification

GN18944

A new GN owner wants to know whats in front of his trans!

My guess is that it's the stock 87 GN torque converter, however, I have been surprised by some other upgrades this car has.

The torque converter isn't painted but it has a "5" between every spline. Any ideas?

The correct stock converter is a D5 but sometimes the stamping can be a little light..

Yea mine I couldn't see the D even though I knew it was there. Looked really really close and finally found it in a few spots. The 5 was easily seen

Yea mine I couldn't see the D even though I knew it was there. Looked really really close and finally found it in a few spots. The 5 was easily seen
That makes sense. I didn't know to look for the D so I'm sure it's the stock one.

Do a stall test......If the brakes do not hold boost very well set the parking brake and then push on the brake pedal.......... If its a stock d5 6# of boost should net you 2500-2600 rpm stall on a stock converter.....I prefer this method over the stall at 0 test because it is more representative of how we would launch the car at the dragstrip......I worked on one that stalled at 1400 max.......had a diesel converter in it......