torque converter dust shield

Turbo_KITT

Does anyone have a part number for a torque converter dust shield? I also need to know which side the starter is on... Chrome would be nice...

Joe :confused:

Can't find the number for the dust shield in the GM parts catalog as it's not pictured in there for some reason ... anyone?

Starter is on the passanger side

Not sure how much this was talked about in the past, but I was told to not even run that dust shield. The torque converter will run cooler with it off.

I dont have one. I wish I did though. Still waiting to sheer off a couple of teeth off the flywheel.

dvernst said:
Not sure how much this was talked about in the past, but I was told to not even run that dust shield. The torque converter will run cooler with it off.

It'll run cooler but I wouldn't suggest driving on the street regularly without it. It's not likely for any debris to fly up into that area but if anything does you're going to regret not having it on there. I think I would rather have my converter run a little warmer than have to buy a new converter or have it rebuilt from something damaging the case, or even just buying a new flywheel.

Turbo_KITT said:
Does anyone have a part number for a torque converter dust shield?
The part number is 1253160. Your dealership can still get one thru VPI. They show to have some left. HTH. Jason

I'll have to call them on Monday and let you know. GM dosen't list the price on the part any more. They sold all there stock to that company and refers all the dealers to them. I know they showed to have 26 of them.

when i got a replacement one for my gn from GM it was plastic instead of metal. I left mine off, I go with the cooler theory. IMHO, there isn't much that would damage the converter that the cover would protect.

I run without one.. you'll hit a bunch of other things before that area gets smacked.

Guess if your into off road racing :biggrin:

I ran without one on my GN for awhile.. then a big plastic bag got sucked up into the converter!!! :eek: If you drive on the street IMO it's a must. I can tell no difference in heat with it on or off. Trans shifts the same way and nothing seems different. If you race allot I would leave it off. But for street use your asking for problems.. IMO.

The part number is 1253160. Your dealership can still get one thru VPI. They show to have some left. HTH. Jason

What is VPI??? I also am uncertain what to call this component since it is called everything from torque converter cover to a tranny dust shield?
:confused: :redface: :biggrin:

I have seen some nice ones on ebay, but am uncertain which are compatible with the buick engine/tranny... :rolleyes:

Joe

VPI is the company that buys old stock or slow moving parts off GM and others, see http://www.vintageparts.org/index.html

As long as you have the part number the dealership will be able to order it as they access to all the info.

Not sure what other cars the same cover was used on, I would expect it to be unique to the Buick V6 with the 200 trans.

Adding on the names of them, I've heard them as a flywheel cover also. What does GM call them in there system?

flywheel cover

It looks like GM calls it a "pan". Like I would have guessed that...
:cool:

I ordered one from the listing above and it was $17.88 plus $7.50 shipping.
Not bad...
;)

phillyturbosix said:
Let us know when it comes if it's plastic or metal. I might have to get a few and put them away :D

I called VPI and had them check if they were metal or plastic and was told they are metal.

Jan Larsson said:
VPI is the company that buys old stock or slow moving parts off GM and others, see http://www.vintageparts.org/index.html

As long as you have the part number the dealership will be able to order it as they access to all the info.

Not sure what other cars the same cover was used on, I would expect it to be unique to the Buick V6 with the 200 trans.

good point. Shouldn't it be the same part as like what's on the GN?