torqing down the bottom end

shocker998md

Hey guys I need some help here. I'm putting the Buick back together and need some step by step play by play instructions. A few years ago I pulled my engine out to re gasket, replace the timing set and engine mounts. Life got in the way along with a few deployments and I had hopes and dreams of rebuilding the engine but the spare cash tree never grew roots. So that being said I'm putting the engine back together. Here's the state that its in now

Heads are on, rockers are all loose, timing set is removed, and I pulled all main and rod caps one at a time to look at the bearings. They look good enough to run for a little while and will let me move the car when I have to get moved next spring. So this weekend I want to torque the bottom end. I think I have my game plan and it will be snug everything up but don't have it anywhere near torqued.
1.Starting with the thrust bearing snug those up, then with a hammer and block of wood hit the crank backwards and then forwards. While the crank was hit forward torque that cap to spec.
2. Then spin the engine over and torque the rest of the mains one at a time aside from the rear main.
3. Torque one rod at a time and spin engine over.
4. Once every cap its torqued and the engine does spin over fine install the rear main seal.
5. With a magnetic base and micrometer measure crank shaft end play, this will tell me if I got my thrust bearing set up correctly I believe?
5. In stall oil pan.
6. Log back onto the site, up load pics and then work on replacing valve springs, install timing set and torque rockers. After asking another million questions.

I have had the engine out for 5 years, I did lube everything up and trash bag it so I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions on where stuff goes and how to install stuff so that I don't mess it up. I'm looking to just get the car back together and running and driving to be able to move it in the spring. I don't plan on flogging on it, running it down the track or anything like that right now.

The only step missed was to install the rear main seal at the time you torque the rear main cap, or you will just be doing it again. Toss the side seals and use "The Right Stuff" after you clean all oil off of the cap and block. Use a neoprene seal, too. (Not the factory rope style.). Oh, and after you get it back together.............LET IT EAT!!!!!! No reason to baby it.