tore apart my trans and found some pieces..

novaderrik

the other night, i tore into my stock trans to see what happened that night at the track back in 2005. this is what i found scattered around the rearmost clutch packs:

2665_154225395440_632495440_6238471_2725163_n.jpg

and here it is all sorted out

2665_154228245440_632495440_6238603_386859_n.jpg

sorry i don't have better pics- i took these with my cell phone just now. all i do know is that the debris is steel, and that it looks like some sort of a retainer or something. the larger pieces are all uniform in size and 3 different shapes, and the stuff in the lower right hand of the second pic is thinner and neatly folded like an accordion. these pieces were on the top side of the clutch packs, but not in between them.

the weird thing is that i can see no broken or missing parts anywhere inside the trans. but, then again, i've never torn into an auto trans before, either, so i honestly don't really know what to look for.
this all happened about 2 weeks after i put a B&M shift kit in with the trans still in the car, but i can't think of anything i took apart then that this could be.

i've posted here before asking what was wrong with it, and never got any kind of an answer.
here's what the problem was:
on a pass on a friday night grudge night in August of 2005, it didn't shift out of first gear. during the run, it worked fine, but when i turned onto the return road towards the timing shack, it stuck in first gear.
it would go into reverse or 1st gear immediately after moving the shifter to the proper place, but i could not push the car by hand with the trans in neutral. fluid looked perfect, and there was no sign of anything in the pan. i didn't have a place or reason (or extra $$$)to do anything with the trans until friday, otherwise i would have gotten this fixed a long time ago. i needed the car mobile quickly after it happened, so i've been running around with a crappy junkyard trans out of a Delta 88 or something in the car ever since.

i couldn't tell you what that is. but what was the tag on your junkyard trans, and how has it worked out for you?

i can't remember the tag on the junkyard trans, but it was out of an Olds with a 307.
it lets the car be driven, but anything over 1/2 throttle results in the trans feeling like it goes into neutral when it tries to shift, and the stall on the torque converter is way too low for the turbo motor.
not really a good match for the turbo 6 at all- but with the knowledge and experience of rebuilding my BQ, i should be able to take care of it's shortcomings and put it behind an efi LT1 in the 86 MonteSS i got cheap last summer...

what's that piece supposed to look like, and where is it located relative to the other pieces?

Low / Rev. Roller Clutch

what's that piece supposed to look like, and where is it located relative to the other pieces?

ATSG Manual Pg.89 Fig.170, Part#658, Inside Rear Planetary Carrier.

Attachments

• Low Reverse Roller Clutch.jpg
    Low Reverse Roller Clutch.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 297
that could be it, but the "accordian" piece i've got is folded the other way, along the long side, and i don't see anything in that pic that looks like the other pieces i've got. are there any other styles of that part, or anything else back there that is similar?
and what woulkd cause that to fail?
later tonight i'll go look thru the trans pieces and see if i can see anything i missed when i took it apart and bagged everything.

Low roller clutch gets my vote. You will also find the inner race failed. Classic failure on stage right or foot brake car.

that could be it, but the "accordian" piece i've got is folded the other way, along the long side, and i don't see anything in that pic that looks like the other pieces i've got. are there any other styles of that part, or anything else back there that is similar?
and what woulkd cause that to fail?
later tonight i'll go look thru the trans pieces and see if i can see anything i missed when i took it apart and bagged everything.

The Pic is actually of a A518 Mopar trans L/R roller. 2004R looks slightly different with 12 rollers.

2665_154625790440_632495440_6248142_2691743_n.jpg

i went out and did some looking, and there was more debris inside this assembly, as well as a few roller bearings that are just kind of floating around in there but won't fall out. so, yup- a blown roller bearing seems to be the issue.
how does one get in there to replace the bearing- it seems to be a press fit of some sort. the shaft thru the middle kind of fought me when i pulled it out, but nothing inside the middle bore appears to be bad.

did some more exploratory surgery, and this is what i found after prying the pieces apart. they were stuck together becasue the middle part with the splines is broken and was wedging things together funny:
2665_154714335440_632495440_6250548_5709935_n.jpg

and this is what i had after i managed to get all the pieces out. eveything here appears to be junk. will parts from any other trans fit, or how much is it gonna cost for new parts? once i can get some cash from my pocket and onto my trusty debit card, i'm probably gonna order a manual from CK so i kinda start to know what i'm doing.

2665_154714340440_632495440_6250549_7144805_n.jpg

The inner race breaks then the rollers dont hold tight in the ramps. That causes the destruction. Check the direct drum when this happens the drum will over speed sometime breaks center support and warps drum. Lucky it was not a 400 she would have exited the case.

what is the correct # for CK performance? there are two numbers listed on the site with different area codes.

I had all the parts in a spare tranny that i use as a parts transmission, but I did order a new low/reverse clutch housing that was rollerized which was somwhere around $50 I think.

got my manual in the mail today from CK.. i've got me some reading to do...
looks like it will be worth every penny as long as i can follow along..