Torco octane booster

I got mine from a guy on the Corvette site who had a sale on it last month. He is a distributor, sells it in either quart cans or 5 gallon. 5 gallon comes out much cheaper.
Get to his site and click on product list.
Home
Hope this helps

I got mine from a guy on the Corvette site who had a sale on it last month. He is a distributor, sells it in either quart cans or 5 gallon. 5 gallon comes out much cheaper.
Get to his site and click on product list.
Home
Hope this helps

Thanks for the info and the link.

Do they still make the leaded version?

No, I spoke to a rep at Torco and they no longer make the leaded version. He claims that the unleaded does what it claims to do and is not snake oil. I may have believed he was just telling me that since he works for Torco if I had not read all the positives on the Corvette, Mustand, Evo and STI forums. Didnt see anyone reply on those sites with a negative.

Gonna try and turn up the boost and the alky again to 6 and still add the Torco. Dumb question, is there such a thing as to much octane, meaning if I was getting no knock with the Torco and the Alky dial between 1 and 2,
1. Is there any negative to going to 6 again on the Alky control and using the Torco ?
2. Will it be to rich ?
3. Lastly, I was running 21 and would like to try to run more boost, at what boost point would you stop raising it if I was getting no knock with the Alky and Torco combo.
Thanks

I'm skeptical about this or any octane booster.

Our engines are low compression (at idle anyway ;) ). Vettes don't need the octane we need (except for that rare supercharged beast).

The down side could be a ruined o-2 sensor as pointed out by Wells.

The real test is to turn the alchy 'off' and measure the KR (without blowing your head gasket).

:)

Torco

Does Torco Mach Accelerator replace race fuel? No. Does it have limited applications? Absolutely. If you have a legitimate need for slightly more octane this is a great way to go. If you are tuning a highly modified engine for maximum power stick to race fuels.

This was on a site regarding the use of Torco.

Torco markets Accelerator as a race fuel concentrate. Before discussing this product, lets first address key differences between a racing fuel and pump fuel. The obvious one is octane. Under the US octane rating system AKI (Anti-Knock Index) pump fuel is graded as (RON+MON)/2. Meaning if a fuel had a RON (Research Octane Number) of 96, and a MON ( Motor Octane Number) of 90 its AKI would be 93. Race fuels can be graded on any of the standards AKI, MON, RON. So what is octane and why is it important? Octane is what gives gasoline its ability to resist pre-ignition. As displacement, compression, boost, RPM, go up it becomes harder to keep the fuel mixture from igniting prematurely. If under load or high heat, you experience knock with 87 octane, stepping up to 91 octane is logical step for both performance and longevity. If you experience no knock or timing pull at 91 there is no benefit to you stepping up to 93 or higher. The additives that raise octane have less energy than the base fuel, effectively lowering the BTUs of the fuel. That is you will make the most power and have the best fuel economy with the lowest octane that is capable of preventing knock under your specific conditions.

Another major distinction between race and pump fuel is RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure). The easiest, overly simplified, way to think of RVP is as a scale to rate the tendency for the fuel to want to evaporate. In general racing fuels have a much lower RVP than would be found in pump fuel due to the poor starting characteristics that come along with low RVP fuels.

Burn speed is another major difference. Race fuels are blended towards a specific application. The desired burn rate in a Kart at 16k RPM is very different than the target burn rate of something like a big block V8 at 9k RPM. Too fast of a burn and you may experience less than optimum power. Too slow and your exhaust valves may be opening before maximum pressure is reached.

Without going into specific gravity, dielectric constant, and numerous other variables, you should now have a basic understanding that there is a lot more to fuel than just octane. Altering these variables randomly can serve to be counter productive. For the purpose of objectivity lets look at one of the most common indicators. Octane.

Torco advertises that it can raise 93 pump to 107 when used in the highest concentrations. Tested in the highest recommended mixture we saw an AKI of ~99 though a secondary testing method. 8 full points from 107 if you assume Torco was implying 107 AKI and not 107 RON. This would mean it was raising 97RON to 107 RON. If you standardize the results on AKI you will see that 107RON is actually fairly close to 99AKI. This is much better than you could hope for with the more common additives such as with xylene or Tulene. If you assume $3.00 per gallon of 93AKI pump and $17.50 for a can of the Accelerator that works out to $6.50 a gallon. With race fuel such as VP and Sunoco in the $5.00 neighborhood this does not make sense. On the other end if the spectrum, you could mix 1 can with 20 gallons. In areas where only 91AKI is available, this makes a little more sense at ~$3.80 per gallon to end up with 93AKI.

This article was Cut and pasted it.

lucas

Heres what they said about lucas:
One tank, one bottle.

When mixed in a 100:1 ratio of fuel to additive the Lucas Octane Boosted averaged a RON reading of 101.4 and a MON rating of 91.8. Giving Lucas in a concentration of 100:1 an AKI of 96.6 when mixed with 93 pump fuel. With a ratio of 100:1 this make Lucas the most concentrated additive.

When used an a concentration of 50:1 103.1 RON was achieved with a MON of 93.5 giving it a AKI of 98.4.

To date Lucas octane booster is the only booster tested that had significant results with only one bottle in the tank. One bottle is enough to make 10 gallons of 96.6 octane out of 93.
This was cut and pasted as well

Does Torco Mach Accelerator replace race fuel? No. Does it have limited applications? Absolutely. If you have a legitimate need for slightly more octane this is a great way to go. If you are tuning a highly modified engine for maximum power stick to race fuels.

This was on a site regarding the use of Torco.

Torco markets Accelerator as a race fuel concentrate. Before discussing this product, lets first address key differences between a racing fuel and pump fuel. The obvious one is octane. Under the US octane rating system AKI (Anti-Knock Index) pump fuel is graded as (RON+MON)/2. Meaning if a fuel had a RON (Research Octane Number) of 96, and a MON ( Motor Octane Number) of 90 its AKI would be 93. Race fuels can be graded on any of the standards AKI, MON, RON. So what is octane and why is it important? Octane is what gives gasoline its ability to resist pre-ignition. As displacement, compression, boost, RPM, go up it becomes harder to keep the fuel mixture from igniting prematurely. If under load or high heat, you experience knock with 87 octane, stepping up to 91 octane is logical step for both performance and longevity. If you experience no knock or timing pull at 91 there is no benefit to you stepping up to 93 or higher. The additives that raise octane have less energy than the base fuel, effectively lowering the BTUs of the fuel. That is you will make the most power and have the best fuel economy with the lowest octane that is capable of preventing knock under your specific conditions.

Another major distinction between race and pump fuel is RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure). The easiest, overly simplified, way to think of RVP is as a scale to rate the tendency for the fuel to want to evaporate. In general racing fuels have a much lower RVP than would be found in pump fuel due to the poor starting characteristics that come along with low RVP fuels.

Burn speed is another major difference. Race fuels are blended towards a specific application. The desired burn rate in a Kart at 16k RPM is very different than the target burn rate of something like a big block V8 at 9k RPM. Too fast of a burn and you may experience less than optimum power. Too slow and your exhaust valves may be opening before maximum pressure is reached.

Without going into specific gravity, dielectric constant, and numerous other variables, you should now have a basic understanding that there is a lot more to fuel than just octane. Altering these variables randomly can serve to be counter productive. For the purpose of objectivity lets look at one of the most common indicators. Octane.

Torco advertises that it can raise 93 pump to 107 when used in the highest concentrations. Tested in the highest recommended mixture we saw an AKI of ~99 though a secondary testing method. 8 full points from 107 if you assume Torco was implying 107 AKI and not 107 RON. This would mean it was raising 97RON to 107 RON. If you standardize the results on AKI you will see that 107RON is actually fairly close to 99AKI. This is much better than you could hope for with the more common additives such as with xylene or Tulene. If you assume $3.00 per gallon of 93AKI pump and $17.50 for a can of the Accelerator that works out to $6.50 a gallon. With race fuel such as VP and Sunoco in the $5.00 neighborhood this does not make sense. On the other end if the spectrum, you could mix 1 can with 20 gallons. In areas where only 91AKI is available, this makes a little more sense at ~$3.80 per gallon to end up with 93AKI.

This article was Cut and pasted it.

Thanks for clarifying.Sounded to much information being left out.:rolleyes:

Lucas

So:
Torco advertises that it can raise 93 pump to 107 when used in the highest concentrations. Tested in the highest recommended mixture we saw an AKI of ~99 though a secondary testing method. 8 full points from 107 if you assume Torco was implying 107 AKI and not 107 RON. This would mean it was raising 97RON to 107 RON. If you standardize the results on AKI you will see that 107RON is actually fairly close to 99AKI.
The best they got was 99 octane.(because at the pump the number we see is the AKI number not the RON number)
But lucas got:
When used an a concentration of 50:1 103.1 RON was achieved with a MON of 93.5 giving it a AKI of 98.4.
and the Lucas is a whole lot cheaper.

Here's my experience with it, for what it's worth. Prior to this car, I drove a 2004 Dodge SRT-4 with the Stage 3 kit. It included a High Octane Mode (HOM) button that, with at least 100 octane in the tank, would increase the boost and timing, giving me a substantial increase in power. With 5 gallons of 92 octane in the tank, I added 1/2 can of the Torco. Doing back of the hand calculations, I figured this would give me at least 100 octane. The car would kick out of HOM every time I floored it. Maybe I should have tried the other half of the can.

After 17 years of modifying FWDs, this is the car that brought me to the GN. I finally realized that FWD was capable of only so much on street tires. Trapping 116 MPH isn't that impressive when it only gave me a 13.2 quarter mile time. :rolleyes: