Top speed

BiGBoY

Hi guys !
My question is quite simple. I want to know your top speed limit if you know it. Tell me with what car, the mods, the gears etc.
Thanks

Hmmmmm.....

Assuming stock transmission and rear end gear ratios, I would think that even a mild TR (mabey 300 rwhp) could go 140-145 given a long stretch of road. As for the real strong ones (450+ at the wheels), it would run out of gear pretty fast at about 150-155, assuming a power peak of about 5500 rpm. I am hardly and expert, so if anyone can correct me, please do.

I have had my 87 T up to 4400 rpm in top gear, which should be about 140 mph. It was on a straight stretch of road with minimal traffic, ( Rt 380 in PA towards Gouldsboro/Tobyhana if anyone cares), and I backed off because, well, a Buick Regal at 140 is crazy, but it would have kept pulling. It got to that speed quite quickly. At the time, the car had a totally stock engine with a TA60 turbo, V4 intercooler, 009 injectors, ATR 2 1/2" exhaust, Terry Houston downpipe with a cat, Mark H cold air kit, and a chip by Jim Testa. I was running 17 pounds of boost on Sunoco 94.]

So you see, these cars are limited by rpm, horsepower is usually a non-issue, because even a mildly modded one can easily pull to the max speed of the engine.

When my car was totally stock other than 9"k&n, test pipe and a quality chip. My dad had one of his fellow officers clock it at 141.

Even though that chip was supposed to elimenate the governer it did not do so. The only way it would go above the governer was to disconnect the speedo cable. But with that disconected the car's computer cant really function properly to make adjustments.

They start flying off the road at about 145. If you want to go faster than that you need a wing and bull horns:D

i read somewhere that our motors from the factory are capable of doing 162 MPH but that depends on the weight of the car and cranking the stock turbo boost and stuff...

when i was BONE stock...i once raced my friend's 97 mustang GT on a long stretch of highway...i had him from 0-125 MPH :) but then i couldn't go any faster and he caught up fast blowing past me at 145 MPH...

with my TE-44 turbo i once had my car up to 135 MPH but got scared to death and let off...the car was ONLY at 4000 rpm and the boost was steady at only 18 lbs...i'm sure my car can do 170-180 easily if i had my turbo cranked to 27 lbs and maxed out the RPM...but who in their right mind would do 180 in a G-body!:eek:

Don,
No offense, but do you know how much HP would be necessary to overcome the wind resistance at 170+ MPH? A lot, thats for sure. Not to mention that the car would fly like a frisbee at that speed. Probably not straight either :)

I've got a calculation program that will tell you what gearing, rpm, trans ratio final, tire size, etc. will produce. I don't have it in front of me, but I think 5,200 rpms gets a stock geared, stock tire size car to ~ 165 mph. With 28" tall tires, it brings it to like 178 mph.

I'll get back to you...the calc. program is at home...yeah, I'm working. Or more accurately...I'm at work.

T

Yes, that is true. Our cars are, in theory, capable of 163mph. This is the number I came up with when I put the gear size over the top speed in any other gear and came up with a ratio that showed the theoretical top speed. But that does not take into account the wind resistance. I don't know if you guys have noticed that these cars are not very aerodynamic. It's like throwing a brick. So there is no way that a stock gn will go 160. So is the the turbo 3.8 liter capable? Yes. Is the car? No.

I agree with Bob D. You are really pushing it at 145mph. To go faster than that you better lower it or something to keep it on the ground a little tighter.

AT a car meeting , I race once a MUSTANG GT 1989 fully modify claiming running 270 klmh=169mph with a 3.73 gear. I told the guy that no way he could go that fast with it . He was laughing at my little WHITE TURBO T ( stock turbo , intercooler , 30 pounds INJECTORS , 3 inchs down pipe , no CAT, dual exhaust 2 1/2 , k/n , over size inlet, PIT BULL chip, F pump and home brew 100 OCTANE MIX .

It was midnight and no traffic around. We lined up on the highway and we gave it a go , I let him go ahead till 150=90 mph then I floor it and FLEW by him , he floor it to and tryed to pass. By then everything was flying by and every time he would try a pass I would BOOSTED it up and get around 5-6 cars on him . The RPM went in the RED zone , I would say 5200-5300 and the BOOST IN THE MAX 18 pounds top gear. At that speed , around 145 mph the front end was starting to lift up . He quit to an EXIT and did'nt see him for a month after .

When I met him again at a car show he was all embarrass and told me he had talked to much. He was amazed at the little BUICK and wasn't laughing no more . For me , I had so much fun putting the pedal to the metal , he had made my night . :cool:

With a Front mount intercooler and a slightly lowered front end, a good running stock motored TR with a larger turbo should run 150 mph+ no problem. The stock location intercooler makes for a lot of air under the hood and front end lift. The front end lift not only makes the car spooky to drive but also increases the drag.

We hope to have the Pontiac 2+2 up to a sustained 160 (max tech speed) at the Big Bend open road race in April (118 miles nearly flat out). We are entering the 135 mph class.

I have been 157mph on 17lbs of boost in my street car..I have a turbo-link file to prove it...

Originally posted by blackbuick87
UNGN what did you do to address your transmission problems?

About 10 different things. First, Richmond's standard 6th gears were only rated at 250lb-ft of torque. So we upgraded to a road race 6th good to 400 lbft. Then the trans still had problems with popping out of various gears. It was in and out a couple more times and it turns out the trans had been recalled but richmond had never told us (You think that would have been the first thing they mentioned).

Richmond sent all the recalled parts (including shifter forks to replace our defective bent ones) and as far as we can tell its as good as new. You never know about these things until you go out and beat on them, though, so we shall see.

At the Sandhills Race (very winding and narrow) I'm going to change my driving technique slightly next year, using lower gear and letting the motor wind more (down shift to 4th on the 90 mph corners rather than 5th or leaving it in 6th)

Atleast we know now that if we loose a gear half way through the race, we may as well finish using the other 5. We made it over 30 miles at speed with a broken trans with no ill effects that 3 post race teardown inspections could find.

Changing the shifting technique sounds like a good idea, I doubt you will hurt anything on that big block by running her at 5000 on a regular basis.

My buddy just put a 502/502 in his boat last year, and after break in we beat on it pretty good with lots of sustained 5200 rpm runs with no ill effects. I dont think his outdrive will take much more though:D

Bug, how'd it feel at 157? How long did it take to get there? I thought about having one of my buddies hit me with the radar gun, but the longest straight stretch of road in Deerfield Beach is about 2-3 miles...not very long at all.