Top 10 most useless modifications

captainron

Reel 'em in
What aftermarket parts or mods provide little or no benefit to our cars? I'm talking more mechanical items and not cosmetic, as cosmetic mods are a matter of personal taste. Newbies might appreciate this. :cool: I'll start with TPS-TEC.

I will dissagree on the headers,just because I don't consider welding the stockers repeatedly cost effective.

Otherwise I would say besides the tps thing... the boost a pump,the boost a spark,that maf pipe with the vanes in it,dump pipes,and the stage right trans brake.The trans brake works,its just hard to be consistent with and I have done better off the foot brake.

anything chrome :) pinion snubber, 72# or bigger injectors on a stock car, radial tires on anything other than a totally stock car and wanting to know how they will hook at the track, tps tec, blow off valves.

Downpipes for slow cars - but seems to be an early mod
Aftermarket plugwires
Fancy plugs
Braided vac line
Blowoff valve (most of the time)

S

THDP with a cat into a stock exhaust.

Adjustable Fuelpressure regulator with a stock fuel pump.

Putting air in a left side air bag for traction.

Airdam ram air

Flowmaster stock replacement exhaust

The fender well dump

High stall, non lockup converter with a stock turbo.

High boost wastegate actuator on a stock turbo/elbow on a street car.

the plenum spacer

Hooker Headers

Originally posted by sixgun86gn
I will dissagree on the headers,just because I don't consider welding the stockers repeatedly cost effective.

Otherwise I would say besides the tps thing... the boost a pump,the boost a spark,that maf pipe with the vanes in it,dump pipes,and the stage right trans brake.The trans brake works,its just hard to be consistent with and I have done better off the foot brake.
I'll agree with the boost-a-spark, but I like the boost-a-pump. I had a hot wire kit and gave that away. Kinda useless in my opinion. I get 17 volts at just the pump if I want it,not just a tenth a volt,If that. I'll also vote for the enclosed ram air. Leave the filter box off.

Iridium spark plugs too!!!!! Any regular plug will do.

Originally posted by sixgun86gn

i 100% disagree with the dump pipe. I was unbolting my gutted car, moving it around and bolting it up to the exhaust using 2 bolts, so its open (hot you get what i'm saying) last year, doing that i droped 2-3 10's. this year i put on a dump to make life easier. for $30 bucks and a little work i'd say its a very good thing to do.

the worst thing i've done was a postons 3" downpipe. talk about a joke,. it had to be hammerd into place,even still it fits horrible but i did get it to quit hitting the frame... helped a LITTLE but not worth the time and effort.

and as for the stock replacement flowmaster muffler, i have it and it works good, much better than stock and the price was right. i'd never pay full price for it though.

I will agree with the Postons DP.
Fit was horrible, and i could never get it to stop leaking at the elbow. Bought together with high flow cat, but ended up throwing the stocker back on cuz I couldnt take the pffft pfft at the elbow anymore.
One of my worst mods, something I will end up taking out, are the aftermarket power window kits. Since I started with crank windows, and my ac has never worked, I wanted to have power windows at least. Bought the kit, and installed it. What garbage! I am going back to cranks for now. :rolleyes:

Aftermarket turbos, larger fuel pumps, chips, slicks, higher stall converters, and especially the RJC Power Plate.

Oh wait, those things all worked like a champ for me.

The stuff that did nothing all seemed to come from Kenne Bell. Except for the 70mm Throttle Body. It was one of my first mods. Everyone says that it does not work. I never put it on a dyno, but I used to race my friends stock 91 GT Mustang on the freeway. With my stock TB, we were neck and neck almost exactly on the freeway. With the 70mm throttle body, no other changes, I pulled ever so slightly on the freeway. Not exactly scientific, but works for me. Looks nice too!

How about "water wetter?" Does that stuff really work?

All depends on if you like your water pump to be lubed and you like rusty water in the radiator.;)

I'd have to say what doesn't work is about half the stuff printed in GM High Tech that Rons Custom auto suggests. Not to rag but there have been some doozies. What was up with that thingamajig that locked the brake to help you launch or something that was deemed not to work back in like 1988.:confused:

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
What was up with that thingamajig that locked the brake to help you launch or something that was deemed not to work back in like 1988.:confused:

Jumper Valve. Bypassed the proportioning valve so you got full brake force to the rears at launch. That one actually worked as advertised, based on the bent backing plates and cracked drums I heard about. :)