Tools Question:

Tom R

87FastBlack
I've owned my car for just over three months now and with the help of TurboBuRick and my own driving, I'm getting used to the car and some of the things required by TR owners. I am not a mechanic, never have been but owning these cars can get really expensive if one cares to ensure they operate well at all times and can't do some of the work ourselves. So my question is this...Now that I've learned a bit and will continue to do so, I guess I'll need more tools than I current have at my disposal if I'm do do any real hands on. If I were interested in doing the tuning, oil changes, minor oil leak repairs etc...what tools would most of you suggest I purchase as a good starter kit? Mig welders and engine hoists are out of the question as well as installing a life in my garage.:p

Just got to Sears and get a nice mechanics tool set. Good sockets, ratchets, wrenchs (including flare), and a decent jack and some jackstands. All the basics as well, screwdrivers, adj. wrenches, etc. And AT LEAST two magnets, cause when you drop those bolts on the intake, you'll need one.

I do most of my own work with hand tools. A good torque wrench would help too.

Ive been buying tools for a while, so I have a nice toolchest and box. Its not much but it works for me. Anything major I need done, I have access to a lift and alot more tools.

Doesnt have to happen overnight either.

As for the car, I keep a 50-peice kit in the trunk with me. Comes in handy, but Ive never had a major problem. I also have a little plastic toolbox I keep my basic track tools in, allen and wrench to adjust the FPR, pliers for the wastegate rod, air gauge, etc. And a pair of gloves and a pack of zipties.

I agree, and also a fuel pressure gauge with a long hose to put under the wiper for tuning, a good boost gauge and most of all PATIENCE!

Just take your time and accumulate things over time as you need them. As noted, start with a decent Craftsman mechanics tool set and add a few things here and there. Universal joints are nice, especially when changing your spark plugs. I just bought things as I needed and then I always had them from that point on.

Also, as mentioned, it is great to have a smaller survival kit with you with the basics. I have a small craftsman tool set, mechanixwear gloves since you know your engine will be hot when you are out, a spare relay for my hotwire kit, fuses, zip ties, electrical wire, etc. I also have a fire extinguisher in the trunk.

You need a good quality torque wrench, 3/8, 10 to 85 ft/lb and 1/2 inch drive, 15 to 250 ft/lb, a set of regular and deep well metric sockets, and a set of SAE regular and deep well sockets, a Scanmaster tuning box, set of metric/SAE combination wrenches, jack stands (4), a garage floor jack, a nice compressor to run impact wrench, cut-off tool, 3/8 drive air wrench, fender protectors, a creeper from Harbor Freight to make your back happy, oil drain pan, oil filter removal wrench, lots and lots of bandages with blood clotting agents, ball pein hammer, rubber mallet, wire brush with handle, a heavy bag when you can't get something undone (believe me, this is inevitable) WD40, PB Blaster penetrating spray, set of regular and phillips screwdrivers, set of Torx sockets, lots and lots of patience, (if you run out of this....that's what the heavy bag is for) and more money than you ever dreamed you need.:redface:

Bruce '87 Grand National

About 5 years ago I got the box with 4 pull out trays for craftsmen, its a great starter tool set, I even have some sockets left in it :rolleyes:. Also dont forget a breaker bar, get a long one. Also some locking extensions (not sure if craftsmen has them, might have to go with snap-on or mac). Swivel sockets are nice (not a socket on a universal joint) but they are kinda expensive.

You can do most bolt-on things with a $100 craftsman tool set. Add tools as you need for a specific job like an allen head socket for the brakes. If I am going to use the tool more than once I'll buy craftsman. If I just need a tool for one thing - like a breaker bar - I will buy something cheaper.

Besides all the stuff mentioned above, I always have a box of latex gloves so I don't have to get any dirtier than I have to. I even found a set of used mechanics coveralls at a local parts store and it is invaluable. (Beats ruining all your "play clothes") Lots of rags too, might as well clean what you can while you're under the car.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy some racheting wrenches. I have a set of the metrics and I uses them regularly. (great for some of the tighter spots).

A cheap voltmeter. You WILL use it.

Factory Service manuals- pretty helpful.

Not really all "tools" but still necesary if you're gonna have one if these cars.

Tools? We don't need no stinking tools. Just get one of these and a roll of duct tape.

Attachments

• 6a00d8344ab1b953ef01127914f76528a4-800wi.jpg
    6a00d8344ab1b953ef01127914f76528a4-800wi.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 67